Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Schedule b required to only report foreign account

Andrewpo
Level 2

Proseries does not prepare schedule B unless there is more than $1,500 income from interest and dividends even is there is a foreign account reported on Form 114. By not showing a diagnostic error when this form is omitted the client and the preparer may be subject to serious penalties for an incomplete tax return

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

10 Comments 10
sjrcpa
Level 15

If the answer to one or more of the foreign account questions is Yes, the Schedule B is supposed to be attached. 

I think you can force Schedule B. @Just-Lisa-Now ?

Ex-AllStar
sjrcpa
Level 15

@Just-Lisa-Now- 

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

The foreign boxes only light up as required once you reach the $ limit on Sch B, but I would think if you mark the foreign boxes on it (even when it doesnt light them up requiring them to be marked) it then it would get included with the Efiled return.

I have mine set to Print if any data, I don't think that means it gets included with the Efile if not required.  I only have 2 clients with foreign income that requires those boxes to be checked yes....so my experience with it is limited.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Andrewpo
Level 2

It’s such an important question that Intuit should light it up as an exile error than needs to be answered. Failure to report a foreign bank account is serious, especially if Form 114 or 8938 is required. For what we pay you would think the software tax guys would at least link a form 114 or 8938 to schedule B. I noticed it when I got a client who’s accountant filed FBARs but no Schedule B. I checked and saw ProSeries does not match the Foreign Bank Account Report to Schedule B. That’s an incomplete return subject to penalty 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Could it be that those questions are only required to be answered IF Sch B is required?

@IntuitBettyJo  or @IntuitAustin   I know you're not "tax people" so you may not know the answer, but do you have any input about this?   Should these questions always be answered whether a Sch B is required or not?

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Thanks Lisa

Ex-AllStar
sjrcpa
Level 15

It is my firm policy that they are always answered.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
So a Sch B gets included with every return even if its blank and just those questions are marked No?

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

No. We have to answer the questions. If they are No, and total income is below threshold, then no Sch B. 

Ex-AllStar
sjrcpa
Level 15

So, I could have sworn I posted the directions at the top of the Sch B page that said you use Sch B if you answer the foreign questions Yes. I even edited to Bold the relevant part.

Not here now.

Ex-AllStar