Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is PPP taxable income?

Alfredo1967
Level 3

Is payments for PPP received last year taxable?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

6 Comments 6
ShoeBox Taxes
Level 5

The PPP grant is not federally taxable. I am unaware of any states that tax it. Oregon doesn't, which leads me to think no state does, because Oregon will tax anything they can. They would tax air if they could.

However, there are other COVID-related grants that ARE taxable, so make sure you confirm that your client's money is actually PPP and not some other grant.

qbteachmt
Level 15

You would need to confirm if the State taxes it as income, but also if that State allows the deduction for the associated expense or not.

Example:

https://taxfoundation.org/state-tax-forgiven-ppp-loans/

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
sjrcpa
Level 15

PPP was not a grant. It is a loan, which can be forgiven if you apply for forgiveness and meet the requirements.

Receipt of a loan is never taxable income.

The loan forgiveness is not taxable for federal. Each state has its own rules for their treatment of the loan forgiveness or deductibility of expenses paid with PPP loan money.

Ex-AllStar
Alfredo1967
Level 3

Thank you for your respond. I am glad Texas does not have a tax return. Did not know Oregon tax you on anything.

0 Cheers
Alfredo1967
Level 3

Thank you very much. The PPP I am asking is the grant, which is $1000 per employee. Thank you for clarifying.

0 Cheers
Alfredo1967
Level 3

Thank you for your answer. 

0 Cheers