Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss from K-1 reported on a high income return

pjjjp
Level 2

One of my clients received a K-1 form with a loss. His combined income totals $200k for the year. Can he still claim a loss on his 1040 tax return or should i just enter the K-1 for informational purposes and he wont be getting any deduction for this? thank you

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

If the taxpayer as enough Basis, yes, it will be deductible.  There isn't an income limitation to claim an ordinary loss.

View solution in original post

13 Comments 13
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
Which box of the K-1 has a loss?
0 Cheers
pjjjp
Level 2
Box 1- Ordinary loss from an LLC
pjjjp
Level 2
I'm sure at some point in your careers you did not know this neither, and I never said I've been doing taxes for long. This is actually my first time working with a K-1 if you should know.

People would rather take the time to offend others rather than help...that;s great!!
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
@pjjjp You need a mentor to help you prepare. There are still items that I come across after 30 years I am unfamiliar with....but I research and thankfully I have friends in the business who I can lean on in times of need. I looked at your questions and they are fairly basic. These are things you should know already. Good luck!  
abctax55
Level 15
:+1::+1:
"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
abctax55
Level 15
Sorry...my phone has the yips
"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
:laughing: for sure.:laughing:
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

If the taxpayer as enough Basis, yes, it will be deductible.  There isn't an income limitation to claim an ordinary loss.

IRonMaN
Level 15
Passive loss maybe?

Slava Ukraini!
pjjjp
Level 2
yes. My issue is that the proseries is not automatically transferring the loss is I'm entering on K-1 to box 17 .

thank you
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
Is it showing up at all on page 2 of Schedule E?

Have you gone through the error check/review?
0 Cheers
De
Level 1

I have K-1 from a Partnership with a loss and he has basis to cover the loss.  So, how do I make Proseries make the loss available right now the loss is disallowed.

Thank you

DeAnn

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

if it's a passive activity and he has no other passive income it won't be deductible this year. Look at Form 85882

Ex-AllStar