Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it legitimate

PATAX
Level 15

Client received a letter apparently from the IRS , letter number 5071C with a website address of www.idverify.irs.gov. A return was efiled about three weeks ago and she still has not received the direct deposit refund. The letter asks her to verify her identity via that web address. Her husband had died in 2021, and they had a lot taken out in fit wh on their various pensions and iras,  so she is entitled to a nice refund, so that may be why they're questioning their identity. Does this letter sound legitimate?, as this is the first one that any client got this year. Thanks a million.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

I have a client  - similar situation, husband passed in 2021. Filed early March - A few weeks later called me with what sounds like a similar letter. She tried at calling a # and maybe going on line, I was getting ready to help her out and said - "Lets check your bank account one more time for the refund" - and lo and behold it had just showed up. So we figured all is well and didn't proceed any further. I never saw the letter, which she had ready to send me as we dropped it at that point.

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

I have a client  - similar situation, husband passed in 2021. Filed early March - A few weeks later called me with what sounds like a similar letter. She tried at calling a # and maybe going on line, I was getting ready to help her out and said - "Lets check your bank account one more time for the refund" - and lo and behold it had just showed up. So we figured all is well and didn't proceed any further. I never saw the letter, which she had ready to send me as we dropped it at that point.

IRonMaN
Level 15

It's a wonderful world that we live in.  Anything you receive these days the first words you think of is "is this a scam?" ☹️

Slava Ukraini!
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

So true!

PATAX
Level 15

Thanks to both you guys. Yeah you're right Iron Man. We were not brought up this way but this is how they have made us.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

It is probably a legitimate request.  That does happen from time to time.

As a precaution, I always suggest looking for the the website (or phone number) through other means (such as Google), rather than relying on the letter that a person received.

https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/identity-verification-for-irs-letter-recipients

PATAX
Level 15

Thanks Bill. I went to that website listed on her letter and it looks legitimate.

JRC
Level 8

SO True.

Not emails, not phone calls, not even letters now. I Require two types of communication to verify now.