Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it just me or is the new "Postcard" 1040 the ugliest looking form you've ever seen? Really idiotic.

FTAX
Level 5

The historic 10-ez, which the majority of filers could you, COULD have been put on a postcard. But, of course, that wound' t be too smart, in the age of identity theft.

So, now we have this 'pretend' postcard, with six new schedules (1-6) that is extremely had to read.

Ridiculous.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxMonkey
Level 8

Literally the most absurd thing I have seen from the IRS, and that covers a lot of territory.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
21 Comments 21
TaxMonkey
Level 8

Literally the most absurd thing I have seen from the IRS, and that covers a lot of territory.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
Is the IRS really the one to blame?
"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
TaxMonkey
Level 8
No probably not, just the messenger of someone else's idea.
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
"...of someone else's idea"
Of someone else's REALLY BAD idea :joy:
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
:no_mouth::no_mouth:

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
@IRonMaN --- priceless
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
:smile::smile:

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
I'm blaming the IRS.  But now we have a solid precedent that the IRS can wildly change the tax forms based on a whim of anyone in their chain of command.  So I'm sure that'll be a lot of fun going forward.
0 Cheers
FTAX
Level 5
I suspect making the 1040 “postcard” sized was put into the language of the bill, so the writers can say they kept their promise of a postcard tax form. Even so, it’s almost as if IRS resented the mandate and set out to make the forms aweful on purpose.   However, having said that, “tax simplification “that results in more complicated forms can’t be bad for business.
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
Meh, I wouldn't exactly mind if they simplified me out of business at this point.

Rick
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  In this case, the beholder was legally blind.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
:heart_eyes::heart_eyes:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
TAXOH
Level 11
Agree!
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Not to mention this is a real tree-killer if filed on paper.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
Even if efiled, the client copies are a tree-killer.  Most of my clients still get paper copies of their returns.  So now we have more paper and the flow of information is much more difficult to explain to the few clients who actually want to try to understand their tax returns.  But let's face it, most just want to know how much the refund or balance due is.  "Where do I sign" is a distant second place (and best I can tell that's still going to be on the 8879).
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
Sign next to the mustard stain, according to Letterman's Top 10 :joy::joy:
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

I plan on using the 16 up (i.e. 16 pages per side of paper) and two sided printing. That way I can get 32 "postcards" on one sheet of paper. I know there is no global warming, but I just priced a ream of paper and no way am I gonna waste that much paper on a client copy. I tried to scan my first print, but the print is bit faint for scanning. I will will invest in a small plastic magnifier to give out with each return. If found them for about 10¢ each on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Johouse-Magnifying-Colorful-Explorer-Detective/dp/B076Z9SCQY/ref=sr_1_16?ie=U...

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
mojocpa
Level 7

The draft instructions I read say that for paper filing you print off the 1040 and the applicable schedules, and cut the 2 1040 pages to the applicable post card length. Then put the 1040 pages back to back with the printed side out and scotch tape three of the sides leaving one side untaped. Then you cut the schedules leaving only the printed information, insert the schedules between the 2 1040 pages and scotch tape the 1040 shut. Affix the proper postage and mail to the Bone, Idaho IRS service center.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
You read it wrong:
"Then you cut the schedules leaving only the printed information, insert the schedules between the 2 1040 pages and scotch tape the 1040 shut" and then throw it in the garbage.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
The good news if you're mailing it in, you no longer need all the extra certified mail, return receipt fees, you can just send it in with a postcard stamp, right?  That's the real benefit!
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
It does appear that the old format might be acceptable https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1167.pdf See the exhibits at the end. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers