Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is federally taxable 2017 state refund calculating properly?

mdalh
Level 2

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Accountant-Man
Level 13

This is ANOTHER great reason to delay transferring tax files until mid-January. We need to wait for the software bugs to be bugged-out.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
20 Comments 20
Accountant-Man
Level 13

This is ANOTHER great reason to delay transferring tax files until mid-January. We need to wait for the software bugs to be bugged-out.

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
I think most of the regulars here learned that lesson the hard way at some point in our ProSeries history.  I think a lot of folks are learning it the hard way this year.

I'm with Lisa, I transfer as they come in.  At this point I wouldn't even transfer in mid-January (especially with a huge number of bugs still in the software at that time this year).
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
I do transfer all but I have learned to transfer later as opposed to earlier. I got burned last year with Sch C Misc Expenses not transferring and the W-2 State ID info. I wish i would've deleted and re-transferred but I survived.
0 Cheers
TAXOH
Level 11
I also only transfer after the client come in.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Is it?  Have you checked the calculations to see if it calculated it properly?

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
seems like lots of people complaining...I haven't had any clients in that itemize yet...I itemize, but I don't get a refund, so I cant even check my own.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
geez, I cant even find where the state refund is suppose to land on these new forms!

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
There was a question this morning with someone piggybacking the question.  The piggybacker ended up with the return being correct because no benefit was received and the original OP never followed up one way or the other.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
OK,  I did get a state refund last year since I overpaid on my extension....$228, but it doesn't show any of it as being taxable....all the figures on the state tax refund worksheet look correct.

0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
it seems to be fine here. I just prepped one with a taxable refund and it came out fine.
0 Cheers
TAXOH
Level 11
I checked one of mine and it seems okay.
0 Cheers
mdalh
Level 2
Thanks for all the feedback.  In our system it appears that on every file transferred to 2018, the State and Local Income Tax Refund Worksheet indicates that sales tax was deducted, not SALT tax.  We are in NJ and the sales tax deduction was rarely used.  Anyone else seeing this?
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
yes, everyone was seeing that back in December and early January.   Its never a good idea to transfer files until mid Jan sometime, just for weird bugs like this.

0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
That should've been resolved @mdalh with an update a little bit ago. You can try re-transferring them and that should fix the issue. I am unaware re: NJ.
0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 13
Yes, which is why we complained and they fixed it. You might be able to find that thread, but you will either a) have to check the correct box yourself for every return, or b) Delete files not yet worked on and re-transfer them into 2018.
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I know I wasn't able to just click the right a box to fix it (I tried because it was my own return I had already worked on and knew I would lose my entries! LOL), I had to retransfer.

0 Cheers
mdalh
Level 2
Holy moly.  I have retransfer all of my clients?  How long ago was this fixed?
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
Few weeks (guessing). If you haven't worked on many........delete and re-transfer. It does not take too long. I waited to transfer and when I did, i was surprised at how fast it went.
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I transfer in one at a time as they come in for their appointment....keeps my HB from being cluttered up and only have to see returns "in motion" in my list.

0 Cheers
mdalh
Level 2
Thx folks.  You were able to give me way more info than the Pro rep could last night.  I got a more knowledgeable rep this morning, but I was able to guide her a bit thanks to you all!  Have a good season.
0 Cheers