Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is CA Lottery taxable to CA residents

Tweety
Level 2

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

10 Comments 10
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Not taxable to CA, but it is taxable on the federal return.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
itonewbie
Level 15

Not for CA lottery and Mega Millions.  See instructions for Line 8: https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2019/2019-540-ca-instructions.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
hessa333
Level 1

How do I enter the winnings so they're reported on federal but adjusted on schedule CA line 21?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You enter the W2G in the W2G worksheet and the EIN number should make it automatically pick it up as CA lottery winnings and make the adjustment on Form CA of teh California return.

0 Cheers
hessa333
Level 1

Thanks for the quick response. There is no W2G. It's $500 from scatchers.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Ive never had anyone claim scratcher winnings that werent high enough to have a W2G issued, but I guess you can just list it on the Other Income worksheet as Gambling winnings not issued on a 1099 or W2G, then enter it again on 540 Schedule CA under lottery winnings as a deduction.

gamblingnotonw2g.png

calottery.png

0 Cheers
Don Alfonso
Level 1

It appears that Proseries has a glitch with regards to the CA Lottery, you have to enter the information manually into the CA adjustments form

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Did have to in the past, it picked up the CA EIN on the W2g as CA lottery winnings, its possible that 2020 dropped the ball though.

0 Cheers
Don Alfonso
Level 1

Yeah, my 2019 is doing it also, will have to make a few amendments

0 Cheers
drbdrb
Level 3

I had some (brief) difficulty in removal of 2021 California lottery winnings from the taxpayer's 2021 CA return, until I found the following. Under the area in which the Form W-2G information is entered, is a section titled, "Other Information", which includes a line item that allows for identification of the winnings as "state lottery winnings". Identifying the winnings as state lottery winnings in this section will result in the inclusion of the winnings as an adjustment on the taxpayer's California Schedule CA.

0 Cheers