Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IRS2020

pkellycpa
Level 5

Whose head should roll due to the numerous screwups for the 2020 tax filing year?

Will this continue because the company uses overseas programmers to squeeze the last bit of profit out of professional preparers? 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

7 Comments 7
BobKamman
Level 15

From the subject line I thought you were asking about IRS, not Intuit.  

What make of car do you own?  What was the last airplane you flew on?  What brand of smartphone do you use?  Why are you obsessed with foreign programmers?  Overseas customer service, most of us don't like, but we will miss them when they are replaced by AI chatbots.  

At least Intuit's headquarters are in the United States, although it may have the same 40% foreign ownership as the average publicly-traded stock.  You can go to Wolters-Kluwer if you want, the competitor based in the Netherlands.  Or use the company just bought out by the former British coal miners.  

IRonMaN
Level 15

I don't think overseas programmers are the issue.  It sounds more like the issue is due to buying different parts of its programming from third parties.  When they get done with all of the parts, it's like a modern day version of Johnny Cash's "One Piece at a Time" when they go to put it all together.  

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

In 2018 Intuit switched over to a different programming language and the software had to be rebuilt from scratch, this is why we've sooo many issues and oddball stuff with things that worked fine in prior years suddenly become a problem.  Its going to take them some time to work out all the wrinkles, then combined with the never ending barrage tax law changes, many of them last minute, theyre dealing with a huge workload.

Nobody is forcing anyone to continue to work with a company they dont like...youre more than welcome to go get you some of that greener grass with a different software company.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@pkellycpa wrote:

Will this continue because the company uses overseas programmers

Out of curiosity, why would you think that overseas programmers would negatively affect anything?  Your comments seem to that you have negative prejudice against anybody that lives outside of the US.

From what I've seen (but obviously it varies), workers overseas have a higher work ethic and value education more than US workers.  If anything, hiring overseas programmers could improve the program.

qbteachmt
Level 15

This seems like the start of a joke:

Three people walk into a bar: An IRS agent, an Intuit Programmer and a Congressman. Who would you fire, first?

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
BobKamman
Level 15

It may turn out that Intuit’s biggest fault was not hiring enough foreign programmers. They didn’t count on needing so many program changes in real time. How much would it have cost, to have more back-up available in Bangalore for a few months? Not as much as it would have in Baltimore.

Of course now the problem is whether those with Intuit experience survive the pandemic. Millions of Americans are safer because of a vaccine invented by a Turkish couple working in Germany, backed by an American company with a Greek CEO. Other countries may have better math teachers than we do (our rank in one survey is #37), but they still don’t have the vaccine access. This may not matter to the anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers, who often also share xenophobia, but they’re a dying breed.

Taxprohere
Level 7

I paid $300 for Drake's pay per return to do some trusts and one 1065 client, figuring ProSeries increasing costs for business returns.  Hate, hate, hate, hate Drake!  (Customer service response though super fast! 'A+' for that.) Sure, a learning curve but using the interface is like landing on an alien planet.  Grass can be greener on the side you're one, despite my aggravations with ProSeries from time to time.  Remember the printer crashes?  Updates that overwrote your billing entries?  Did I mention I hate Drake? The software, not the company, not the guy. Saved a few bucks, but my grey hair is even more grey.  Guess Dorothy was right.