Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IRS non filer tool...looks like its happening! Get My payment tool coming soon!

Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15

92446132_10216810681154898_2477352495135850496_o.jpg

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Labels (1)
59 Replies 59
Highlighted
Level 4

What happens to people who did file, collect social sec and do not have bank info on their tax returns.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
They wait and see what happens? LOL
Not sure how sophisticated the IRS computers will be at cross matching things like that.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 4

Thanks.  Would never think govt could figure anything out.

Highlighted
Level 7

95% of people on Social Security have direct deposit and will receive their Stimulus payment beginning 4/20/20. The IRS portal is for the others.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 1

I'm an idiot and used that tool when I shouldn't have. I didn't read the information closely. Now what? Did I just prevent myself from recurving my mind ney?

Highlighted
Level 15

from recurving my mind ney....   say what?

And are you a DIYer?   If so, you are in the wrong place.  Try TurboTax. 

Former Chump... umm.... AllStar.
If a post answers your question, click on *Accept as solution* for future searches
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
"recurving my mind ney" = "receiving my money".

Not sure which money they mean though.

Highlighted
Level 1

I did the same thing and now I'm worried that I messed things up!!  Is there anything we can do?

Highlighted
Level 15

@csbshort - you did this for a client?  Or for yourself?  ARE you a professional tax preparer?

If a post answers your question, click on *Accept as solution* for future searches
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 1

@abctax55  I'm sorry I'm confused.  I'm new to this page and trying to figure it out.  My question was that I submitted in the "nonfilers" without reading the requirements closely until after it was all said and done.  I filed in 2018 but did not get a refund and haven't filed for 2019 yet so I misunderstood what it was for.  Did I mess things up and is there anything I can do?  I could not find anywhere on the site to enter in direct deposit info without submitting the nonfilers app

Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15

@csbshort wrote:

@abctax55  I'm sorry I'm confused.  I'm new to this page and trying to figure it out.  My question was that I submitted in the "nonfilers" without reading the requirements closely until after it was all said and done.  I filed in 2018 but did not get a refund and haven't filed for 2019 yet so I misunderstood what it was for.  Did I mess things up and is there anything I can do?  I could not find anywhere on the site to enter in direct deposit info without submitting the nonfilers app

If you used the non-filer site, youve essentially filed a 2019 return with all zeros on it, so when you go to file your actual 2019 return, it will get rejected as the SSN already having filed a return and an amended return will need to be filed to give the correct 2019 information.

Im guessing you will still get the stimulus, but youve screwed up the 2019 filing.

Highlighted
Level 12

@IntuitAlicia 

I'd declare this is yet Another topic to lock down, because DIY and regular people are using this as  a Hot Topic on stimulus checks. They are Lost on the Internet.

Thanks.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
Highlighted
Level 12

I think A LOT of the recent questions in the last couple of weeks are from Do-It-Yourselfers.

Highlighted
Level 15

I pointed it out to a moderator and that the fact the barn door is still WIDE OPEN ... for what little good that does.

Highlighted
Level 12

@IntuitAustindid a nice job of closing down the prior topic while leaving the breadcrumb directing the DIY and non-tax questions.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 1

Same here, any answer how to solve this problem?

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15

Then here's the same answer: (credit to @qbteachmt )

You are Lost on the Internet. This is a website for users of specific professional tax preparation software, for how to use that program and not for Stimulus payment questions.

You might want to search the web, not ask others. The resources are out there.

The TurboTax people are a better community for you, as well:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/discussions/discussion/03/302

Highlighted
Level 12

@Little Sheep 

You posted on a Community forum for how to use ProSeries, a program for a professional tax preparer that is filing tax forms for their Clients. Is that what you are doing?

Because this is Not a public forum for stimulus packages and not an IRS associated website and not able to assist you, any more than asking your Mailman is going to give an answer.

I recommend you visit irs.gov.

Highlighted
Level 12

And stop Changing your username. Sheesh.

@Little Sheep 

Highlighted
Level 15

Same answer.... (credit to @qbteachmt )

You are Lost on the Internet. This is a website for users of specific professional tax preparation software, for how to use that program and not for Stimulus payment questions.

You might want to search the web, not ask others. The resources are out there.

The TurboTax people are a better community for you, as well:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/discussions/discussion/03/302

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
I dont think this new threading is any better...I think it might even be worse than before....sigh...this one is a mess

Highlighted
Level 12

"this one is a mess"

Yeah, who started this topic, anyway? Oh... never mind. Can't you lock it?

Highlighted
Level 15

Can't you lock it?  

PLEASE !!!!

@Just-Lisa-Now- 

(almost makes me want to sign that NDA...)

Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
maybe.....

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 12

"The resources are out there."

Emphasis = fixed it for you. Like the X files 🙂

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15

@Dependable Read the paragraph "Later this month...."

ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 4

Later this month as in your 2 -3 weeks is up and where is the check.  Just curious because keep getting questions.  

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 7

Thanks for the info, Lisa. I have several "unbanked" clients who suddenly have accounts to get the Stimulus payment.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 12

How did you get tomorrow's press release?  LOL.

Highlighted
Level 7

Yes, how did you get that release, because there is nothing at IRS.gov now.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
Looks like it will be announced tomorrow, its dated the 10th.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15

What strikes me is that the memo says the website will collect info about spouses and dependent children, rather than merely direct deposit info.  This seems to be beyond the scope of §6428(f)(5), which clearly refers to these payments being determined by info from either a 2019 or 2018 return and, if no return was filed for either year, based on info from SSA-1099 or RRB-1099.  Technically, the IRS shouldn't have authority to issue checks based on family status submitted on this new website.

I also have a question about their description of this website being for folks who are not required to file a return.  I suppose the site can still be used by all, whether or not one has a filing requirement or not and regardless of whether one has already filed (e.g. with a balance due return without direct deposit info) but the description leads one to believe that it can or should only be used by those who have no filing requirements.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
Highlighted
Level 12

@itonewbie wrote:

What strikes me is that the memo says the website will collect info about spouses and dependent children, rather than merely direct deposit info.  This seems to be beyond the scope of §6428(f)(5), which clearly refers to these payments being determined by info from either a 2019 or 2018 return and, if no return was filed for either year, based on info from SSA-1099 or RRB-1099.  Technically, the IRS shouldn't have authority to issue checks based on family status submitted on this new website.

The problem is, if they don't ask for dependent information and the taxpayer still doesn't need to file in 2020, the taxpayer would need to file a tax return in order to get the credit for the dependent.  I suspect this is actually filing a tax return (probably with $1 of interest) ... but with the special provision that it submits the bank information even without a refund. 

@itonewbie wrote:

I also have a question about their description of this website being for folks who are not required to file a return.  I suppose the site can still be used by all, whether or not one has a filing requirement or not and regardless of whether one has already filed (e.g. with a balance due return without direct deposit info) but the description leads one to believe that it can or should only be used by those who have no filing requirements.

I read it as two separate webpages.  The one being released tomorrow is for non-filers, and that is essentially filing a tax return.  The second one is mentioned on the bottom of page one and will be released later this month.  That second one is to submit or update bank information for those who do file tax returns.

Highlighted
Level 15

@TaxGuyBillYeah, it could be a nil return the Non-Filers website will be processing but I'd think the IRS should be more upfront about what it is and isn't.

OK, the other website they are planning to roll out is for folks who filed a 2019 or 2018 return but without direct deposit info - that's clear enough.  However, they are then missing those who are simply delinquent and will need to file for 2018/2019.  It would appear these delinquent taxpayers shouldn't be using the Non-Filers website and would be left in the cold (probably without much sympathy).  But if they do use the Non-Filers website and it does indeed file nil returns, that could trigger a notice, create exposure to various penalties, and cause problem processing actual returns they may subsequently file.  That's why the IRS really needs to be clear what these websites do and the limitations.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
Highlighted
Level 12

Agreed, they really need to clarify things.  I am hoping the actual website will have some clarification.

The email from Drake (who has an option for these non-filer returns) specifically says it will be adding $1 of interest to file.  To me, that seems to be another indication that they are filing an actual tax return through the regular e-file system, with the special provision of submitting the bank information.

In one of the other threads, somebody said they were "told" (I have no idea by who) that if a taxpayer submits a non-filer return for the Stimulus, then in order to file an actual tax return they need to file a 1040X to amend.  I think Jeff said his fee to amend in that situation would be $1195 per adult and $495 per dependent.  😀

Highlighted
Level 12

On an unrelated note, with the new threading system on the forum, when you "reply" to a previous answer your comments are indented.  Then if you reply to that comment, it is indented more.  I wonder if we keep doing that, if it will keep indenting until you can't read it anymore.  😀

Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
I was wondering if a thread would eventually indent off the right side of the screen LOL

Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15

Looks like the Quick Reply doesnt indent more?

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 12

This must be the limit of indenting.

EDIT:  Hey, why did this end up down here, when I replied to the other one?

Highlighted
Level 15

We can keep trying and see if it will get ridiculously narrow or it will stop at some point.  This is nice on desktop but works horribly on mobile, which is apparently not optimized.

Still an AllStar
Highlighted
Level 15

Hmmm, this cascading thingy doesn't really follow the thread.  IMHO, this is worse as it can get confusing.  So much for new and improved... again.

Still an AllStar
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

@itonewbie  ok, thanks for pointing this out.  I will look into what we can do. 

Cheers! 

Betty Jo 

(Edit: This one landed where I wanted it to, however, I will keep playing with it to see where the problem is) 

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 12

It seems like that if somebody else replies to a 'higher' one, that comes first and the reply falls below that.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

@TaxGuyBill @Just-Lisa-Now- @itonewbie 

Happy you noticed 😊 The threaded replies go up to 5 levels of indentation. 

Cheers! 

Betty Jo 

Highlighted
Level 15

@IntuitBettyJoBut the responses are not threaded under the corresponding posts.  This could get really confusing because it would appear that the response is to the most recent post in the thread.  This is worse than before.  For this to work, it needs to cascade from the correct post.

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 7

Countdown to spoofed phishing portal in 10, 9, 8...

Here's an Expert Opinion, New IRS Site Could Make it Easy for Thieves to Intercept Some Stimulus Payments

Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/non-filers-enter-payment-info-here?fbclid=IwAR2JlsKC9G3DXqDwAMhlCQFP...

Information You will Need to Provide

• Full name, current mailing address and an email address
  • Date of birth and valid Social Security number
  • Bank account number, type and routing number, if you have one
  • Identity Protection Personal Identification Number (IP PIN) you received from the IRS earlier this year, if you have one
  • Driver’s license or state-issued ID, if you have one
  • For each qualifying child: name, Social Security number or Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number and their relationship to you or your spouse

What to Expect

Clicking “Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here” above will take you from the IRS site to Free File Fillable Forms, a certified IRS partner. This site is safe and secure.

Follow these steps in order to provide your information:

• Create an account by providing your email address and phone number; and establishing a user ID and password.
  • You will be directed to a screen where you will input your filing status (Single or Married filing jointly) and personal information.
  • Note: Make sure you have a valid Social Security number for you (and your spouse if you were married at the end of 2019) unless you are filing “Married Filing Jointly” with a 2019 member of the military. Make sure you have a valid Social Security number or Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number for each dependent you want to claim for the Economic Impact Payment.
  • Check the “box” if someone can claim you as a dependent or your spouse as a dependent.
  • Complete your bank information (otherwise we will send you a check).
  • You will be directed to another screen where you will enter personal information to verify yourself. Simply follow the instructions. You will need your driver’s license (or state-issued ID) information. If you don’t have one, leave it blank.

You will receive an e-mail from Customer Service at Free File Fillable Forms that either acknowledges you have successfully submitted your information, or that tells you there is a problem and how to correct it. Free File Fillable forms will use the information to automatically complete a Form 1040 and transmit it to the IRS to compute and send you a payment.

Highlighted
Level 12

When you go into that, it does say:

Do NOT continue here if:

• You receive Social Security, Railroad Retirement, or SSDI benefits. The IRS will automatically send you an Economic Impact Payment.
  • You have already filed a 2019 federal income tax return.
  • Your 2019 gross income exceeded $12,200 ($24,400 for a married couple) or other reasons require you to file a 2019 federal tax return.
  • You were married at the end of 2019 and are not submitting information here with your spouse.
  • You were not a U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent resident in 2019.
Highlighted
Level 15

@TaxGuyBill wrote:

When you go into that, it does say:

Do NOT continue here if:

• You receive Social Security, Railroad Retirement, or SSDI benefits. The IRS will automatically send you an Economic Impact Payment.
  • You have already filed a 2019 federal income tax return.
  • Your 2019 gross income exceeded $12,200 ($24,400 for a married couple) or other reasons require you to file a 2019 federal tax return.
  • You were married at the end of 2019 and are not submitting information here with your spouse.
  • You were not a U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent resident in 2019.

Luckily, we can still fall back on the quotation function.

Hopefully, this should prevent folks who are otherwise required to file a return from using the non-filer website.  But something tells me Murphy's law still applies here.

Still an AllStar