Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IRS is rejecting my clients tax return related to the ES tax payments not updated by Intuit

EARLE
Level 1

I'm sure there are thousands or millions of returns being rejected due to Intuit not updating the ES tax dates as they did last year. This isn't a question about the 1st QTR- still listed as 4/15/21 in Pro Series.

The return itself is being rejected for the following reason- one TP owes the other is getting a refund, both do ES Tax payments every year.

This is the most absurd response for not accepting a return- it's patently untrue to start with- 

Code: FPYMT-086

Form: Default Form

Line: 00

Error Detail: Estimated Payment Due Dt in the IRS ES Payment Record must not be more than 5 days prior to the received date

Error Resolution: Quarterly estimated payments cannot be electronically scheduled for a date that is more than 5 days prior to the received date.

It's ridiculous-- Why can't intuit update the ES tax payment area to match what the IRS is saying for 2020 returns like they did for 2019 returns-- July, June, Sep, Jan

May have to use another tax software system next year- this is fixable!

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

12 Comments 12
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@EARLE wrote:

Why can't intuit update the ES tax payment area to match what the IRS is saying for 2020 returns like they did for 2019 returns-- July, June, Sep, Jan

July?  Is this for some state disaster area?  Most first quarter are due April 15th.

If this is for some disaster area, that is most likely an IRS thing, not ProSeries.  The IRS sets the limitations for that and the MEF system is just set up for the nationwide rules, not allowing special e-file dates due to specific state disasters.

EARLE
Level 1

No buddy, the IRS gave us to 5/17/21 to file just like last year they gave us to 6/15/20 to file. So 4/15/21 has come and gone just like tax year 2019

This is no disaster area, this is a programming fix needed. For tax year 2019 Intuit adjusted the ES payment dates to match the IRS dates, but they are doing it this year for some reason.

My clients returns are being rejected due to Intuit not reprogramming the ES tax payment dates to the IRS new specs. That's the problem- I'm concerned about the IRS rejected the E-file and quarterlies can be made up - that's not the issue- the issue is Intuit updating the software in this area.

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

I think you are confused.   IRS did NOT change the date for ES payments.  The first ES payment was due 04/15.

dkh
Level 15
EARLE
Level 1

See last year's IRS notification-- why is it not the same for those filing between April 16-May 17, 2021 (this year)- excuse the French but it makes less than zero sense we have to do all this extra work when the IRS and tax software companies can't do what they did last year: SEE BELOW

Pursuant to Notice 2020-18 PDF, the due date for your first estimated tax payment was automatically postponed from April 15, 2020, to July 15, 2020. Likewise, pursuant to Notice 2020-23, the due date for your second estimated tax payment was automatically postponed from June 15, 2020, to July 15, 2020. Please refer to Publication 505, Tax Withholding and Estimated Tax PDF, for additional information.

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

My guess to why it wasn't changed this year -   Didn't feel this years 2020 filing deadline change warranted a change for 2021 estimates.     

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Doesnt even matter "why", thats just the way it is for 2021, looking at rules for 2020 is meaningless.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
EARLE
Level 1

Well Lisa, nice to be a robot. Some one earlier didn't know that in 2020 the IRS and tax software harmonized the ES area, so I provided the information.

Doing taxes for 15 years now and now I have to tell several clients they have to go back to cutting ES checks like before the turn of the century because the IRS and tax software companies are too lazy or incompetent to update the ES area. 

0 Cheers
HawkeyeLawyer
Level 2

I had this issue, too. Regardless of the idiocy of not changing the estimated tax payment deadlines to match the return deadline, it is seriously stupid either (a) that the IRS does not allow scheduling the payments on other dates, even if they are past due, like this is some feat of extraordinary technology beyond our capabilities; OR (b) if it is not an IRS rule, that the software does not allow such scheduling, again, as if it is beyond their programming abilities. It is also seriously stupid that the only solutions that anyone can find are either to not schedule the payments at all or to double up the second payment in June. And, thanks for the helpful error message....

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Well, evidently being a robot is a good thing as long as the correct data is loaded into the memory banks.  It doesn't really matter how long anybody has been doing taxes if they missed the boat when it comes to due dates for the first quarter estimate ------------------- it never changed from April 15th.  Last year it did change, this year it didn't.  

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
not sure I understand the robot part....last year was an anomaly, and the dates were extended until July so they made some changes......this year were back to the old rules and only the tax return due date was pushed out 30 days.

You can make the ES payment online on the IRS website if you missed the due date for auto debit in the program, just like another other year than 2020.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
dkh
Level 15

@EARLE wrote:

Well Lisa, nice to be a robot. Some one earlier didn't know that in 2020 the IRS and tax software harmonized the ES area, so I provided the information.

Wow,   You missed the point of my earlier comment about IRS NOT changing the due date for first estimate.   I was referring to this year because you seemed to be struggling with the concept of the 2020 tax return due date and first 2021 estimate due date not being the same.

I didn't need your lesson on what happened last year......that's done and over with @EARLE