Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10% penalty relief for early distribution from an IRA - Cares ACT

IHCPA
Level 2

I have a client who qualifies for CARES Act relief from the additional 10% penalty from an IRA distribution, but can't find how to enter it in ProSeries - it seems that it would go through Form 5329, but I was expecting a CARES Act specific exception.

Can someone point me in the right direction?  Are there any specific certifications that should be made in the tax return?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
groovingator
Level 1

On the 1099-R worksheet just below the normal data entry area is the "Qualified Disaster Distribution Smart Worksheet". Checking the box in section A for "2020 Coronavirus-related Distribution both removes the 10% early withdrawal penalty and attributes one third of the distribution to each of the 2020-2022 tax years. In section B click the "Entire distribution is qualified" if appropriate or enter the desired value on the line below. Amount limited to $100,000.

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
groovingator
Level 1

On the 1099-R worksheet just below the normal data entry area is the "Qualified Disaster Distribution Smart Worksheet". Checking the box in section A for "2020 Coronavirus-related Distribution both removes the 10% early withdrawal penalty and attributes one third of the distribution to each of the 2020-2022 tax years. In section B click the "Entire distribution is qualified" if appropriate or enter the desired value on the line below. Amount limited to $100,000.

qbteachmt
Level 15

Look at this article:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/individual/help/proseries-form-1099-r-faq-s/00/4853

and:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/retirement-tax-credits-and-deductions/help/generating-form-8...

That is for Form 8915-E.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
IHCPA
Level 2

Thank you very much - I completely overlooked that section!

0 Cheers