Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone help me with error code 1638?

david1267
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

13 Comments 13
itonewbie
Level 15
Maybe if you could povide more information about the error and include details of the error message.  This is a p2p user-supported forum; just like you, no one here has access to the error codes.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
david1267
Level 1
My installation stops and I get the following message: "vcredist_x86.exe returned error code 1638"
ProSeries support offered this workaround:
1.  Click Add or Remove programs
2.  Find and select Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x64).  Click Change button.
3.  Click repair button
I do not have that file on my computer, but do have identical files with different year dates on them.
This fix also says its for servers, and I'm installed on a stand alone computer.
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Click this link and the file will download (probably to your download folder) https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=52685

I know others have posted this issue, but I can not seem to find any of them now. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
@IntuitBettyJo could you look into this and how it relates to several users having install problems?

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
IntuitBettyJo
Community Manager
Community Manager
@George4Tacks I will update you as soon as I get a response on this.  Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
-Betty Jo
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
0 Cheers
IntuitBettyJo
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, 

The unexpected behavior regarding the ProSeries Professional version has been reported. Please request Local IT support with uninstalling the 2017 Microsoft Visual C++ x64 and x86 redistributable, restarting the machine, and then running the ProSeries Professional installation, in order to re-install. 

If a non-Intuit application is affected by uninstalling, please have IT re-install.

Hope this helps! 

-Betty Jo 

0 Cheers
Rookie-3610
Level 1

How do I fix error code 1638.  I don't  have a IT person.

0 Cheers
Marcia VN
Level 1

vcredist_x86.exe returned error code 1638

problem downloading 2019 program

======================

1) Pro Series Community - Support replied with posting to Uninstall programs:

a) Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable (x64) - 14.14.26429

AND

b) Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable (x86) - 14.14.26429

2) Then reboot pc

3) Try to reinstall again

2 Questions:

** Is this still the recommended fix?

** Will this uninstall, effect any of my other programs?

0 Cheers
Marcella
Level 1

@IntuitBettyJo 

Some of us don't have an IT department and have no idea what you are talking about.

NOR do you explain the implications of uninstalling something on our harddrives.

Please respond as we have paid for a software from your company that we cannot install.

0 Cheers
Marcella
Level 1

@Marcia VN 

This is my question as well, and it doesn't seem to be getting answered.

Perhaps if we keep posting to them, they will answer the questions, rather than telling us gobbly-goop.

0 Cheers
IsabellaG
Level 1

Rather than uninstalling the 2017 Microsoft Visual C++ x64 and x86 redistributable, I repaired them both, restarted my computer, and was able to install ProSeries.

0 Cheers
vezna31
Level 1

This YouTube video fixed it for me after my laptop crashed and had to have Windows re-installed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiCelyEQxBk

0 Cheers