Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

insurance

MGC94
Level 7

what business insurance do you use for being a tax preparer? errors and o? what would you do if a cooperate return was filed late and they owe $1,400 to IRS? pay it or make the client pay it? 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

4 Comments 4
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
whos fault was it that it was late? Did you have the return complete and the signed signature pages returned to you and you failed to file it on time?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
MGC94
Level 7

Did not actually happen. Just hypothetical. I'm wondering what other offices do and does E&O ins cover something like that? 

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Your deductible will be more than that.

If it's our fault and we can't get it waived, we pay it.

Insurance won't cover the penalty. It will cover when the client sues you over it.

If you belong to a professional association see if they have a group offering.

Ex-AllStar
BobKamman
Level 15

First I would check whether the IRS "first time abatement" policy applies to corporate returns.  If not, I would ask for abatement based on "reasonable cause."  Haven't seen any of those recently, but it used to be that IRS would agree when you least expected it, and deny when it seemed like a sure thing.  

Don't most E&O policies have a deductible of at least $1,000?  Probably more, these days.