Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installment sale of small business stock not publicly traded

PATAX
Level 15

Can you use the installment sale method to report sale of small business stock that is not publicly traded? Stock of a small corporation. It looks like you can but what do you guys think. Thank you.

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

Us guys say yes.  Well, me, myself, and I say yes so are there enough votes there to sway your decision?

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

9 Comments 9
IRonMaN
Level 15

Us guys say yes.  Well, me, myself, and I say yes so are there enough votes there to sway your decision?

Slava Ukraini!
IRonMaN
Level 15

Just for the record though, I didn't check pub 17 or any Intuit tutorials before providing that answer 😀

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

Thanks Iron Man. From what I read it appears that sales that are NOT reported under the installment method are the sale of stock or Securities traded on an established Securities Market. Therefore that leads me to believe that privately held stock that is not publicly traded is eligible for installment sale treatment. The stock is not qualified small business stock as it was originally issued before August 10th 1993.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Your beliefs agree with my beliefs -------- can you believe that?

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

maybe we are related from way back in the old country. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

We are probably long lost cousins -------- 562 times removed.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

Take one of those ancestry DNA tests and you will see you have distant cousins everywhere.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Yeah, I did the ancestry.com thing about 5 years ago.  I had a " bohunk cousin" down in Texas contact me shortly afterwards that is really into the ancestral history.  He took my DNA info and also got me hooked up with another ancestry website so he could do more research on the family.  That website e-mails me almost weekly with new DNA matches but those matches seem to be more of my Scandinavian side because those e-mails tell me of new matches with, Sven, Ole, and Lena.

Slava Ukraini!
dkh
Level 15

Yes vote from me too.   I've done an SCorp stock sale on installment sale method.