Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inheritance worksheet

omnk2000
Level 1

Why ProSeries software has no inheritance worksheet, anybody know?

Thanks.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

19 Comments 19
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You may want to explain better....what kind of worksheet would you need for inheritance?  Is this for a particular state?  What kind of situation do you have?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
omnk2000
Level 1

Thanks for responding, I have a client  that he inherited property from foreign country and he wants to report it on his 2020 tax  return , I was trying to do his return but I could not find any place on Pro Series software for inheritance ,and there is no mention of inheritance on schedule D and B.

Thanks.

0 Cheers
PATAX
Level 15

Inherited property from a foreign country is a very unique and rare event... you cannot expect Pro Series or any other tax software to spend vast amount of resources and time and money dealing with issues like this ....Just my opinion.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"and he wants to report it on his 2020 tax return"

Why? What part is reportable?

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
omnk2000
Level 1

I have done so money foreign inherited property back on 2011 and 2012 with Pro Series , I was very easy to report it.

But this 2020 Pro Series software give no option, I been asking for help but no one give me a definite answer.

Thanks.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

The inheritance itself is not taxable. It's reportable on Form 3520.

Any income from the inherited property is taxable in the same way as any other income -interest, dividend, capital gain, etc.

I'm also not clear on what you want ProSeries to do that it won't do.

Ex-AllStar
omnk2000
Level 1

Because he sold the inherited property and he received money on his bank account.

Thanks.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Did your client inherit cash, or property that he then sold?

0 Cheers
omnk2000
Level 1

Property.

Thanks.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Then that's a Schedule D/8949 transaction. Basis = date of death value. Long-term. Inheriting it doesn't make it unique.

Ex-AllStar
BobKamman
Level 15

Doesn't make a difference where the property was located.  Other users are having problems with ProSeries this year also, for sales that go on Schedule D.  (I hope your client wasn't renting the property before it was sold.)  Use the Form 1099-B worksheet, which you can access from the Schedule D page, even though this was not reported on a Form 1099-B.  

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Just use the 1099B worksheet button at the top of Sch D, scroll down past the brokerage info and you'll find a entry screen similar to the old Sch D.   If you use Inherited as the purchase date, it will print that on the 8949 and automatically make it long term.

But if you double click on the entry line, it will open a separate worksheet, you may find a place in there for inherited property....its got a bunch of stuff in there, but you really dont need it.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
omnk2000
Level 1

Thank you so much.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"I been asking for help but no one give me a definite answer."

Everyone has been giving you Help. This is not Customer Support. These are peer users.

You are simply asking to report a Sale. Not the inheritance.

See how the details mattered?

CarmenLopez
Level 3

I was not able to do what you explained.  I am trying to report an inheritance form another country.  and I need your help

0 Cheers
CarmenLopez
Level 3

Is there a form or process in Proseries that would allow me to report the inheritance ?

0 Cheers
CarmenLopez
Level 3

someone mentioned form 8938  does that need to filled out as well as form 3520

thank you

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

@CarmenLopez   You've added to a post that is 2 years old.  I recommend you start a new post. You're more likely to receive help.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

@CarmenLopez 

You don't need to keep asking. You just asked here in this two year old topic that isn't even for the software you are using.

Your own ProConnect topic is at this link:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-tax-discussions/discussion/inheritance/00/255858

And that's where you are being helped, and you should update that topic, because it is for the current tax year, the right program, and it is your topic which is how you get the specific help you need.

Follow up on your own topic, please.