Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inheritance tax levied by a state -- deductible on Sch A?

Greta
Level 9

I entered it as "Other Taxes" and software accepted it even though far above the 10K limit. According to Sapling site, "Federal estate taxes are not deductible, but state inheritance taxes are deductible on your federal taxes on Sch A." But I was unable to corroborate this by IRS publication.

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

It's not deductible.

Code Section 164 lists deductible taxes. Inheritance taxes are not listed.

Section 275(a)(3) expressly denies a deduction for "Estate, inheritance, legacy, succession, and gift taxes"

It does not distinguish between federal and state ones.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
Accountant-Man
Level 12

Never done it. Inheritance taxes are not income taxes.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
Greta
Level 9

On Schedule A, what is "other taxes" line for, and why did the software accept the deduction for $100,000 (it was paid to Nebraska for an inheritance?). RE  tax and car tax are also not income taxes, but are deductible. Only four states charge inheritance tax, so I too have never done it in 4 decades, it's rare. But this one site I referred to insisted that it's deductible on Sch A.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

It's not deductible.

Code Section 164 lists deductible taxes. Inheritance taxes are not listed.

Section 275(a)(3) expressly denies a deduction for "Estate, inheritance, legacy, succession, and gift taxes"

It does not distinguish between federal and state ones.

Ex-AllStar
Accountant-Man
Level 12

If you type in a number,  the software accepts it. That doesn't mean it is allowed.

In some states, people pay personal property tax on vehicles,  and it's deductible. In NJ, annual fee is not a tax, so it's not deductible.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.