Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clients mom is 84 and need care. They originally contracted through agency but now pays directly to caregiver.

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

Taxpayer's Mom is 84. Needs care. They originally contracted through agency and signed statement that caregiver is responsible for own taxes. Taxpayer's mom is NOT claiming payments as expense.

Does Mom need to issue 1099-Misc to caregiver for payments made if Mom is not claiming payments made? 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

Individuals aren't required to issue 1099s.  Hopefully you weren't planning on some extra beer money by preparing the 1099 for her 🙂

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
8 Comments 8
IRonMaN
Level 15

Individuals aren't required to issue 1099s.  Hopefully you weren't planning on some extra beer money by preparing the 1099 for her 🙂

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
hahaha!! No sir.....i'll take beer money but I told her that she should not have to issue a 1099. I told her I would ask some friends as a confirmation though.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
:+1::+1:

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Ernie
Level 9
@IRonMaN did he just call you friend - see you do have 2 friends!
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
That does help balance out with the minus one friends I have at Intuit.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

Wouldn't Caregiver be a household employee of Mom?

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
Good point.  

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
hmmmm.....i wondered that too, Rick. Caregiver, from what I was told, signed a contractor statement stating as such. Re: household employee was her concern. I thought since the mom was not claiming anything, we would not need to file 1099. But Household is def a possibility.
0 Cheers