Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Independent Contractor with own EFIN

Highlighted
Level 1

I'm an independent contractor working for two separate tax firms who both use ProSeries.  I have my own EFIN.  Where did the option go to input my own EFIN into the firm's software?  Will I be able to e-file returns that I prepare on behalf of these firms?  

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
2 Replies 2
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15

You're right that box is gone this year. 

Those firms may need to get an additional EFIN for your location.  They can get them pretty fast, there's no waiting like for an original EFIN.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Highlighted
Level 15

What kind of agreement have you signed with those two firms and how are their ELs with their clients structured with respect to your services and level of responsibility?  Did they contract out the returns to you (not merely for preparation)?  If not, the returns should be filed by those firms under their EFIN instead of yous.  Otherwise, as Lisa says, they will need to apply for an EFIN for your location.

Question also is whether you are ultimately responsible for the completeness and accuracy of the returns you prepare.  If so, you will to sign the returns with your PTIN.  Otherwise, whoever is responsible within those firms would use his/her PTINs to sign those returns.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar