Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In Virginia -- is Money Market incl US Govt obligations taxable?

Greta
Level 9

Does Virginia allow deduction only for US Treasury (in money market investment), or also US Govt obligations?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
sjrcpa
Level 15

What differentiates the two?

Ex-AllStar
Greta
Level 9

Brokerage houses report separately if the source is a US Treasury bills or US Govt obligations like Fannie Mae. I was under the impression that only US Treasury source was deductible in Virginia and other states. Money market funds are made up almost entirely of US Treasures and US Govt obligations. Folks have a lot of money now in MM.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Sounds like you are confusing money market accounts with mutual fund accounts.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Greta
Level 9

Ah, you're right. I was confusing it with mutual funds. But if a client has a MM account (reported by Vanguard as dividends), and 66% of it is derived from US treasury bills, can't I deduct that on the state return? What about if derived from US Govt obligations?

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

You can look that up in the instructions, which may refer you to other resources on their website.

Ex-AllStar