Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In Pro Series, how do I allocate expenses on rental property used as a home per Pub 527, worksheet 5-1? where some are deductible and some need to be carried over....

tab20
Level 1
Client rents out part of house (25%), there is $7,350 of rental income and $12,457 of rental expenses, yielding a loss of $5,107.
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

3 Comments 3
sjrcpa
Level 15

Is the 25% exclusively rental and the 75% exclusively personal, as in a separate apartment?

Or is this renting a room and tenant has use of kitchen, living room, etc

Ex-AllStar
tab20
Level 1

The tenant is renting one room in a four bedroom house, but has full access to kitchen, living room, etc.

Rental income was $7,350.  It seems that Pro Series only is offering an all  (loss of $5,107) or nothing (all carryforward to 2022) scenario. It allows the loss (it allows the loss if I check “G-Other Passive Exceptions”). However, I believe per Worksheet 5-1, we can deduct direct rental expenses on top of rental portion of home mortgage interest and r/e taxes (in this case $8,307), and that we would carry forward the allowable expenses $2,476 (includes insurance and HOA fees) related to operating and maintaining the dwelling unit along with the rental portion of depreciation $1,674.

0 Cheers
tab20
Level 1

The tenant is renting one room in a four bedroom house, but has full access to kitchen, living room, etc.

Rental income was $7,350.  It seems that Pro Series only is offering an all  (loss of $5,107) or nothing (all carryforward to 2022) scenario. It allows the loss (it allows the loss if I check “G-Other Passive Exceptions”). However, I believe per Worksheet 5-1, we can deduct direct rental expenses on top of rental portion of home mortgage interest and r/e taxes (in this case $8,307), and that we would carry forward the allowable expenses $2,476 (includes insurance and HOA fees) related to operating and maintaining the dwelling unit along with the rental portion of depreciation $1,674.

0 Cheers