Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IN COMMUNITY PROPERTY STATE, PROBLEM WITH 8958, FILING STATUS MFJ NOT BEING ACCEPTED

MiJoMo01
Level 2

For 2019 tax year...preparing now... clients want to know difference of MSJ or MFS and what the tax balance due for MFJ compared to MFS for each of the clients.  There is considerable self-employment earned by the primary tax payer on the MFJ.  Texas is a community property state so I am doing the 8958 for each spouse to allocate the income and that the self-employment spouse will be allocated the full SE to his return.

The MFS for the husband had no problem in doing his MFS and the SE allocated to him as it should.

But now on the spouse when I am trying to do her MFS, the Info sheet allows me to put both of their names in with her name in the primary side and his on the right side.  And I checked MFS box.

But when I try to enter the spouse's his self-employment income the software won't allow me to enter it under his name.  It reverts to her name. 

What should I do to make it right.  Am I missing something somewhere, a box or other thing?  I really need help!  Thank you.  Anyone else that has had same problem with the 2019 Basic software?

It's interesting that I was able to do his MFS but her's is not accepting it

I used the Federal Final Review but it doesn't show me what is wrong concerning that issue.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
You wouldn't use the Sch C for the community property income of the other person, since you don't want the SE taxes to follow it.

Just put her share of his Self employment income in the Other Income Line.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
You wouldn't use the Sch C for the community property income of the other person, since you don't want the SE taxes to follow it.

Just put her share of his Self employment income in the Other Income Line.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
MiJoMo01
Level 2

Thank you!  That really makes sense.

0 Cheers