Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import from Quickbooks

modernoak
Level 2

When I try to export balances to Proseries from Quickbooks, I get the following error:  "Protax20.exe is currently in use processing the same request, try again later."

I have tried restarting the computer, but continue to get the same message.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

14 Comments 14
Fabian
Level 4

Is your ProSeries installed under "C:\ProWin20" or a different folder?

0 Cheers
Fabian
Level 4

Are you using QuickBooks 2020?

0 Cheers
modernoak
Level 2

I have several versions and get the same error with all.

0 Cheers
Fabian
Level 4

I'd still be interested to know if your ProSeries is installed under "C:\ProWin20" or a different folder. Especially if it's installed in a folder with blank spaces in it. Like for example "C:\Pro Series\ProSeries2020" or "C:\ProSeries\Professional 2020".

By the way, you can always go the other way, import QuickBooks data into the ProSeries tax return. Open the tax return in ProSeries and go to the menu "Import->Update Return with QuickBooks Data..."

0 Cheers
modernoak
Level 2

Thanks, I was able to go the Import route in Proseries.  The problem with Quickbooks started when I tried to import an a clients file and Proseries never received the update.  It's as if it is hung up waiting to be imported.

0 Cheers
Fabian
Level 4

1. Shut down ProSeries 2020

2. Go to the folder where you installed ProSeries, let's say it's "C:\ProWin20"

3. Go to the "32Bit" subfolder let's call it "C:\ProWin20\32Bit"

4. Open (in Notepad) the file named "ProWin20.ini"

5. Find the section [QBIntegration]

6. Inside that section, if you see the line "QBImportInProgress=1" then change it to "QBImportInProgress=0". In other words change the "1" to "0" (zero)

7. Save and Close "ProWin20.ini"

8. In QuickBooks, try to export your balances to ProSeries again

0 Cheers
modernoak
Level 2

It is OS(C:)Prowin20

I still get the same error.  The QBimportinprogress is set to 0

0 Cheers
patrickfields
Level 3

I am having the same issue. My path does not have spaces, it is installed the same way it has been since Proseries 97.

If we did have this error in the past a quick close and reopening of PS and QB fixed it. It was very intermittent.

But now it is every single time on all workstations.

The trick of messing with the QB Integration section of the ProWin20.ini file works for a single export, but I would have to do it every single time, and I don't feel comfortable instructions my 12 staff on messing with this configuration file every time.

There has to be another fix.

0 Cheers
patrickfields
Level 3

This should not be marked solved as the original poster, as well as others are still having the issue.

0 Cheers
modernoak
Level 2

I am able to use Proseries to "pull" the file from Quickbooks, but I still cannot send from Quickbooks.  Also, I have Proseries on a shared network drive and I cannot pull from that drive.  I have to backup the Quickbooks file to the workstation C: drive and then restore it.  Then Proseries can find the Quickbooks file to import it in.  To import it from Proseries, go to: Import>Update Return with Quickbooks Data.  

0 Cheers
patrickfields
Level 3

Same situation here. I used to be able to update return with QuickBooks data even though the files are on a shared drive, but for some reason i cant reach that drive this year as it wont show shared drives.
I don't have to time to be moving files to a local drive each time to update return with quickbooks data.

Too much risk of us doing that and working in the wrong file, not moving it back, etc.

It's a network program it should have no problems reaching a network location.

Fabian
Level 4

@modernoak  , @patrickfields , did you try to map the network location where your QuickBooks files are?

See instructions here: (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/map-a-network-drive-in-windows-10-29ce55d1-34e3-a7e2-480...

You can map that network location to a drive letter, let's say W: or Y: or some letter you don't already use, and then access that location via the drive letter.

0 Cheers
patrickfields
Level 3

The drive is mapped. It's the same drive that the Proseries data files are held.  It shows up when we go to transfer prior year files, import FAM exports, etc. But when going to choose the QB file to update data from it is not a choice. Never happened in prior years, is only with 20.

It doesn't like to show that drive as a choice. I am assuming it is related.

0 Cheers
Szwaja
Level 1

Hello, i also had this same issue bounced back and forth between proseries and quickbooks support.  I was able to fix it on my end.  What i did was:

1. uninstall proseries 2020 from the workstation

2. Manually delete C:\ProWin20

3. Reinstall proseries 2020 (for me it was workstation install from network folder)

4. Update proseries 2020

5, Initiate export from quickbooks 2019

Success!

0 Cheers