Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IL e-filing error

trivedi-CPA
Level 1

TP employed in Illinois (IL).  One W-2 and IL and NY tax deducted.  Completed NY non-resident IT-203 form (only 3% allocated from wages computed and used for NY) and then the resident IL form.  IL return now indicating Not eligible for e-filing.  Reason provided as follows:    "Return cannot be e-filed when the sum of IL wages plus out of state wages on all w-2s does not equal total wages reported on IL schedule CR."

Checked all forms and wages identified on IL-CR directly from W-2 and correct.  Any help to troubleshoot appreciated.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

3 Comments 3
Ringers
Level 2

I had this same problem with an IL/PA non-resident return.  Check your IL CR page 1.  Column A is the TOTAL of the W-2, (not just the Illinois portion) while Column B is the non-Illinois portion.  It is easy to put just the IL portion in column A.

trivedi-CPA
Level 1

Thank you for your answer, Ringers.  The only way I can put Ilinois portion in Column A is to override the auto populated field (W-2 amount - NY amount).  Once I do that I now get 2 errors; one for the overridden field and one for the original e-filing error.  It appears that the program is miscalculating.  Two calls to tech support did not seem to resolve the error.  

Could you expand on how you actually put the Illinois poruion in Column A?  Thank you for taking the time to respond.

0 Cheers
Ringers
Level 2

Hi Trivedi,

When you prepared the Federal 1040, did you page to the bottom of the "info" screen and do the "non-resident" allocation?  That will let you split the W-2 into the two state amounts and pre-fill the proper columns on the IL CR form.  If your total split between the 2 states does not add up to the W-2 Box 1 total, you will see the error on the non-resident or part year resident allocation sheets.

I know these are available in Professional, but I am not sure they are available in Basic.

Good luck!

0 Cheers