Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you took standard deduction 1040 one year, can you bundle 2 yrs schedule A deductions the following year?

mp7
Level 1
This was discussed in the previous intuit 3 day session. Need more info.
0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
poolcleaner
Level 9

Why not?

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

If I follow your question....No, you cannot. 

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

So you want to save up your itemized deductions from 2 years and use them all in one year?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
IRonMaN
Level 15

I sure am glad I don’t take part in Intuit sessions😯

Slava Ukraini!
poolcleaner
Level 9

Only if you actually paid those taxes in the years in which you are deducting them.  Also, you cannot deduct taxes or interest that you are paying in advance of when it is due.

Another Former All Star

sjrcpa
Level 15

You can do it if you actually pay 2 years worth of itemized deductions in the second year. You can't use anything paid in the first year.

Ex-AllStar
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

This is my recommendation to clients how to bundle up:

Have twins.  Double up the child tax credit, exemption.... and what not. 

A client followed that and had triplets a few years ago.  A Happy Family!! 

Seriously folks, I think the original idea was to bundle up deductible expenses or deductions in one year.  Make the 2021 church donation (date the check and remit) in Jan 2022; make the 2022 donation in 2022; make the 2023 donation in December 2022....

Before the 10K (OR, after the $80K) SALT cap, make three real estate property tax payments in 2022...

Pay the 2021 and 2022 medical bills all in 2022  

The above would work if the TP's itemized deductions are in the ballpark of the standard deduction.  It works for disciplined TP, but makes the heads spin for the others.

I come here for kudos and IRonMaN's jokes.