Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could I claim foreign tax credit paid on foreign rents? if so, should I enter as expenses, depreciation expenses on Form 1116 ?

andreactamayo
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

Yes, you can.  It's in the passive basket but subject to high tax kick-out.  Rental expenses are directly allocable for FTC purposes.  But very often, you would end up with a loss and not having any limitation to claim the credit on because of SLL/OFL.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
8 Comments 8
itonewbie
Level 15

Yes, you can.  It's in the passive basket but subject to high tax kick-out.  Rental expenses are directly allocable for FTC purposes.  But very often, you would end up with a loss and not having any limitation to claim the credit on because of SLL/OFL.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
If you don't like the answer, you are probably doing it wrong and should read up on the topics highlighted in the response.
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
andreactamayo
Level 1
I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to be rude. I really appreciate your answer.
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
Not a problem, @andreactamayo.  Just want to make sure you are aware of the critical factors to consider.
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
andreactamayo
Level 1
It’s a complex topic. It’s my first time calculating this credit,  so I’m trying to find a simple example to understand better what calculations should I do. Do you know where can I find an example for rents ?
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
I don't know if you'd find any example for rent but FTC is a complex topic.  If you have not already, you should study in details Pub 547 and the instructions for F.1116.  You will learn a lot from these readings and various concepts are explained - although these are still difficult reads, it'd be worth the while.

In case you are not comfortable preparing returns with international elements, at least for now, you would be well advised to farm the return out to someone who is more experienced in this area.
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
Marc-TaxMan
Level 8
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
Thanks for the props, @Marc.TaxMan :sweat_smile:
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers