Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I e-filed my client's return six weeks ago with form 9465 how can we tell if it was accepted? My client has heard noting from the IRS and is fretting.

AJMorris
Level 2

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

6 Comments 6
dkh
Level 15

Did you receive an e-file acknowledgement?  If  yes, then the Form 9465 is in the IRS processing system.  Six weeks ago covid-19 was changing the world as we know it.  IRS has not been staffed for several weeks.  

poolcleaner
Level 9

Form 9465 should tell you whether or not the return was accepted and will also give you a number identifying the acceptance.  There are numerous cases of returns that seem to be lost in space at the IRS website right now.  Assuming your client had a refund, you could have the client utilize the "Where's My Refund" section at irs.gov. You can also utilize the EF Center in Pro Series to verify whether or not the return was accepted and to retrieve the Submission ID.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If will be several months or more before they see any letter from IRS approving or denying that installment plan application.   

Have them start making monthly payment via IRS Direct Pay until they get the letter.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
dkh
Level 15

@poolcleaner  Form 9465 installment agreement request not Form 9325  🙂

poolcleaner
Level 9

Oops!

0 Cheers
UNINTENDEDACTOR
Level 2

Thanks for that information. I was looking to see if the client needed to sign and mail the efiled 9465. But from this information gathered the answer is no.  The client will only need to look out for the letter and make payments via IRS Direct Pay until they receive response from IRS.