Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I attach a pdf of the 1099-B do I still need to mail the paper Form 8453 to the IRS?

kkwcpa
Level 2

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

I would say no as you've attached the PDF. But I have no definitive proof to my answer. 

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
17 Comments 17
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

I would say no as you've attached the PDF. But I have no definitive proof to my answer. 

0 Cheers
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10
I have not sent the 8453 since I started attaching the .pdfs a few years ago.  Made it thru a couple of the summer correspondence seasons, so I think we are ok with just the .pdf
If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
I need to do that. I still attach them to the 8453's and mail in.
0 Cheers
kkwcpa
Level 2
Thanks. I attach the pdf copies but Proseries still prints out the 8453 so I was beginning to second guess myself!
0 Cheers
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10
my ProSeries  Professional  does not print the 8453 if I attach the .pdf.  When I attach the .pdf, I choose the  8949 as the type....so i assume that tells my program it's not necessary to print the 8453.
If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
0 Cheers
TAXOH
Level 11
Mine doesn't print the 8453 either
0 Cheers
kkwcpa
Level 2
Mine started printing it last year. Maybe there is a setting that got changed somewhere.
0 Cheers
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10
In my Global Print Options>Control which forms print....i have 'If Required' chosen.... when you attach the .pdf, do you select the 8949 as the type?
0 Cheers
Happy-Tax
Level 5
Under the Schedule D "Capital Gains and Losses Condensed Entry Table" you'll find Misc Options selections A and B. If you select Yes under Option A, you'll always print the Form 8453. The sentence within the parentheses explains to mark Yes only if you're going to attach paper printouts and mail with the Form 8453. Conversely, if you're attaching PDF's to the efiled return, do not mark Yes. That should keep the 8453 from printing. At least that's the way it works on my system.
abctax55
Level 15

I don't mail them....the whole POINT of being able to do the PDF attachment is to not have to mail those friggin' things in.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
I guess I need to invest in a scanner, eh? Seems like too much work on my end. I push em off on my people. :open_mouth::open_mouth:
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
That's why you have people.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10
get some 'scanner people'
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
"scanner people"....you, my friends are super smart!! I must get me some of them!!
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
and a good quality fast scanner

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
barb2
Level 2

My Fujitsu ix1500 is amazing and worth every penny.  I scan all docs in seconds.

Then under E-file - Attach PDF files, you choose form 8949 in the drop down of files to attach.  Seamless!

0 Cheers
markmcpa
Level 1

Almost three years later but this was the solution I was searching for! Wasted an hour trying to figure out what staff did to trigger the 8453 even though pdf properly attached. Thank you, Happy-Tax!