Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If a married couple make too much income to qualify for the stimulus payment can we file MFS to one of them can receive it.

caroljo
Level 5

One of my clients jointly  make too much to qualify for the stimulus payment.  The husband falls below the 75,000 ceiling.  Can we file MFS to qualify him for the payment. 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Community property state?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Community property state?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
caroljo
Level 5

yes, but what about if it is not a community property state?  I have another one coming up in a non-community property state that are probably going to ask me the same question. 

0 Cheers
pamdory
Level 8

It should be okay in a non community property state, but I would run the MFJ/MFS comparison worksheet to make sure there isn't a surprise that pops up.

abctax55
Level 15

Some one pointed out on a different forum to be aware of the potential impact on Medicare insurance premiums in subsequent years if you go the MFS route.

I book marked it to look at later as I will be looking at MFS splits tomorrow.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
caroljo
Level 5

Wow..I did not know filing mfs made a difference in the medicare premiums.  Sometimes I wonder what other things I don't know. Thank you for your input. 

abctax55
Level 15

@caroljo  - Yup... it's the what I don't know that I don't know that terrifies me.

And I'm not sure I understand the ins/outs of this scenario until I have time to read the details more slowly.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"