Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a large number of 2018 individual files (.18i) that I need to print organizers for?

twphilli
Level 3

I have transferred a large number of clients from TaxAct to Proseries. I tried to do this data conversion in Proseries 2017, but it directed me to use 2018 instead, and when I did it created 2018 individual files for each client (.18i). Fine as far as that goes, but I will need to send organizers for all these clients, and there seems to be no way to transfer them back from 18i to 18o. Is there any workaround for this? Any way I can still use the 2017 program for data conversion? Thanks much!

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anthony S
Employee
Employee

The tax data conversion process creates tax year 2017 files to transfer into the 2018 program, so this is correct.

To transfer the files into Organizer:

1. Go to the File menu, scroll to Transfer and click on Transfer Clients...
  2. In Step 1 (of the Transfer screen), change the 'type of file to transfer' to "2017 Form 1040 to 2018 Organizer."
  3. Change the data path in Step 2 to "C:\ProWin18\CompConversion."
  4. By default, the directory is set to \18Data, this is correct.
  5. Click "Select All" in Step 4.
  6. Click "Begin Transfer" in Step 5.
Once the Organizer files are created you can transfer them directly into Form 1040 later.  Assuming you haven't worked on any of the clients in the 1040 HomeBase view you will need to delete them, then perform a transfer from the Organizer into Form 1040 Individual's HomeBase.  Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
Anthony S
Employee
Employee

The tax data conversion process creates tax year 2017 files to transfer into the 2018 program, so this is correct.

To transfer the files into Organizer:

1. Go to the File menu, scroll to Transfer and click on Transfer Clients...
  2. In Step 1 (of the Transfer screen), change the 'type of file to transfer' to "2017 Form 1040 to 2018 Organizer."
  3. Change the data path in Step 2 to "C:\ProWin18\CompConversion."
  4. By default, the directory is set to \18Data, this is correct.
  5. Click "Select All" in Step 4.
  6. Click "Begin Transfer" in Step 5.
Once the Organizer files are created you can transfer them directly into Form 1040 later.  Assuming you haven't worked on any of the clients in the 1040 HomeBase view you will need to delete them, then perform a transfer from the Organizer into Form 1040 Individual's HomeBase.  Hope this helps.

0 Cheers
twphilli
Level 3
This procedure worked perfectly. An additional note for people on a network install (who haven't had their morning cup of coffee, like me)--since the files are on the C:\ drive, you of course have to be on the Admin computer where you did the initial transfer.

Thank you!
0 Cheers
Ernie
Level 9

I believe you will want to import them from TaxAct for 2017 and clean up the errors, as there are normally numerous errors.  Then transfer to 2018.  That was what I had to do when I purchased a preparer who us another program.

Dusty Ernie

0 Cheers
twphilli
Level 3
That's what I'd like to do, but when I try to use the Client Data Converter function in Proseries 2017 right now there's an error message--Please use the 2018 converter. Hoping there's some way around that.
0 Cheers
Ernie
Level 9
I would contact Tech Support.  I believe they can help you.
0 Cheers