Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone use ProSeries on an Apple Computer? If so would you recommend Apple or PC?

GPONEIL
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IntuitJeff-H
Employee
Employee

ProSeries does not support or write the program for the Mac Operating system. With that being said there are a lot of users out there who have Apple computers and run Windows so it really depends on the Operating system that is installed on the system.

We only Support Windows. I hope that helps. Also to note we do not support parallels. 

View solution in original post

41 Comments 41
IntuitJeff-H
Employee
Employee

ProSeries does not support or write the program for the Mac Operating system. With that being said there are a lot of users out there who have Apple computers and run Windows so it really depends on the Operating system that is installed on the system.

We only Support Windows. I hope that helps. Also to note we do not support parallels. 

garman22
Level 13
Level 13
I asked this at one point I think or I was pondering it. Why @Jeff H does PS not support or write for both?
sjrcpa
Level 15
Lacerte does not work on MAC either, FWIW.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
"Why @Jeff H does PS not support or write for both?"

Because Intuit believes that tax preparers and accountants are too boring to use those flashy Apple products :grimacing:

Slava Ukraini!
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
lol....no way jose...I prefer apple anyways. Windows is too volatile.
0 Cheers
IntuitJeff-H
Employee
Employee

I wish I had a solid answer for you. Our stance for as long as I have been here is we only program for Windows based computers. 

If it helps here ate the System Requirements for the 2018 ProSeries Software

https://accountants-community.intuit.com/articles/1732106-system-requirements-for-2018-proseries-pro...

0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
Thats more or less what I was wondering. I was mostly curious. I like Apple products and would make the switch immediately if that was the case. Gracias
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
Are you saying I can't starting using my "Apple IIe" to do tax returns?  The program doesn't come on 5 1/4 inch floppy disks?   :smile::smile:
itonewbie
Level 15

If you are really REALLY keen to run ProSeries on Mac, you may consider installing Windows on your Mac either in a virtual machine window or dual-boot (using Boot Camp).

Another alternative would be to install Wine but you will likely run into problems because it does not require Windows to be installed and Wine would attempt to rewrite the codes so that the software could be run on a Mac.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
Either way, the set up will not be supported by Intuit, so you may run into a brick wall when you need technical support.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
Beanie86
Level 2

I am trying to figure out, if Proseries CAN OR CAN NOT BE RUN ON APPLE MACBOOK PRO. The answers Im seeing are not specific. Can someone give me a specific answer please? I have already purchased 2020 and can't figure out what BOOT CAMP does, I found out Parallels is way too expensive. If there is a solution on what the exact name of the application is I need to install, please tell me. Thanks

cdnt48
Level 1

if pro series won't support Macs, then lift the limit of efiling only five returns. i prepare returns for a large extended fsmily. iv'e been using your software since it was Macintax. [removed].

abctax55
Level 15

@cdnt48 

1) this isn't a Turbo Tax forum

2) a five returns a year, I'm sure Intuit will miss you badly /S

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
DanW
Level 1

I use ProSeries on an Apple MacBook Air using Parallels. I also have a standard windows tower. ProSeries run just as fast or faster on the MacBook. 

bruh
Level 1

Sorry I'm a bit late.

Not exactly what you are looking for, but if you are using ProSeries on Network. You could use your Mac for shared folder purpose (Google search for 'Setting up Samba on Mac'). Or better yet, get a raspberry pi (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi), and set it up as shared drive folder. The raspberry pi box is tiny and uses very little power. It would save you money for building a windows machine + license.

RTS
Level 2

I have been using ProSeries on an Apple iMac for the past 12 years using Parallels. It gets expensive but faster than using a regular Windows computer taking into account that Apple is super safe to use. One other plus side for using an apple is that writing PDF free with mac and all pictures can convert quickly to pdf with copy and paste. 

0 Cheers
Neil
Level 1

I've been using Parallels for several years to obtain Windows and it's worked perfectly. Love the Mac, speed, resolution outstanding which prompted me to buy the new MacBook Pro 16" M1 max. 

0 Cheers
jjfcpa1
Level 2

Have you tried running Proseries on the M1 Mac via Parallels and Widows 11 ARM?

0 Cheers
Neil
Level 1

Yes I have for years, this year was especially challenging because of Windows 11. Have. MacBook Pro M1X love it. 

0 Cheers
DanW
Level 1

Yes I have loaded Windows 11 on a MacBook Pro 13.3 M1 with Parallels 17 with just 8gb of ram and it runs fine.

jjfcpa1
Level 2

Neil, thanks for the reply.  Since I posted this message we installed it as well and it runs just fine.

0 Cheers
Neil
Level 1

Yes, bought the new MacBook Pro M1X had some issues but all resolved. Windows 11 ARM. Been using Parallels for years.

0 Cheers
jjfcpa1
Level 2

Niel, we started with Parallels many moons ago, but then switched to VMWare because some of my developers liked it better.  However, VMWare for ARM does not work well - they will not provide a VMWare Tools, which sets up a number of things because Windows for ARM is not a licensed version.  Hence, the resolution, networking, and other things doesn't work properly.

We tried Parallels and everything that we've tried, except for GlobalProtect VPN client, seems to work just fine.  

0 Cheers
Neil
Level 1

On the MacBook Pro in Parallels 17, are we still stuck in Windows pro insider preview?

0 Cheers
mtgakhila
Level 1

Hi, I just got a new Macbook Pro M1 and am planning to get Parallels only for ProSeries. Just want a confirmation from someone who has already installed the 2021 ProSeries that it can be installed on Windows 11 VRM with Parallels on a Macbook pro with M1 chip.

0 Cheers
jjfcpa1
Level 2

I've installed both the 2020 version and 2021 version of Proseries and they both run just fine.  No hiccups.

0 Cheers
Jeff N
Level 2

Our office uses MacBook Pro's to run ProSeries via Parallels and has for well over a decade. I recently purchased an M1 iMac for a preparer to run ProSeries on. Unfortunately, you need to use the Windows ARM version and ProSeries does not support this currently. I tried for months to get the emulation process to work to no avail. ProSeries would run fine for a while then completely shut down. Currently you can not run ProSeries on an ARM Windows machine. 

When I realized the issue I immediately bought several Intel Macs, in case we ever had any computer issues in our office. 

The only way to run ProSeries on an M1/M2 MAC would be to utilize ProSeries cloud based version. This eliminates a lot of extra software and hassle but I am not a big fan of anything Cloud Based. 

For those of you using Apple computers for ProSeries I strongly recommend MacBook Pro's. They seem to be the fastest and most capable of handling the program. I also recommend that you keep all of your data on the Mac side and not on your Windows Local C: Drive. All of our data is kept in a special folder on the Mac side. This not only protects your data but if the Window side of your computer fails, you still have a back up of all your data on the Mac side. Plus you can utilize Time Machine for continual back ups. 

On another note, if you understand how the process works(MAC) for your data you never need to tell ProSeries support that you are running Mac or Parallels. Just the Window version you are on. We have spoken too many Tier 1 support techs that have no clue how we operate. When you are operating ProSeries on Parallels in a Window OS there is no difference with the issues. Only where you choose to keep your data. It takes some getting use too, but you learn as you go. 

Ironically, ProSeries use to support BootCamp, which was Mac's own version of Parallels. So saying that they don't support Mac is not 100% true. If they did, they wouldn't understand what BootCamp was. 

Hope that helps...

raycpa
Level 2

@Jeff N  Hey, Jeff.  Thanks for August reply.  Just wondering if have any new experiences with the M1 chip.  

0 Cheers
raycpa
Level 2

@DanW   Hi, Dan.  I all going well with your M1 chip Mac and Parallels?

0 Cheers
raycpa
Level 2

@Neil   Hi Neil.  Is everything still going ok with your Mac M1 and Proseries?

0 Cheers
RTS
Level 2

Everything just fine with mac pro m1 and just installed 2022 proseries 

raycpa
Level 2

Thank You!

0 Cheers
jjfcpa1
Level 2

I have to disagree with this post.  I've been running Proseries using the ARM version of Windows (Windows 11 to be exact) on an M1 Mac in Parallels 17 with no issues.  

Parallels just released Version 18 with additional improvements for the M1 Mac but I had some issues upgrading and reverted back to V17.

Jeff N
Level 2

We only have one M1 computer in my office. We currently do not have Parallels or ProSeries installed on this machine. Windows 11 in Parallels ARM may worked based on another post. I have not taken the time to try to work with it again. When I was working with it earlier I had to use the Preview Builders version of Windows as Windows 11 was not released yet. We had continual issues of ProSeries locking up and and the screen going blank from time to time. It wasn't worth it at the time, someone claims that it works with Windows 11, then give it a shot. Buying a new M1 Mac to try and see if it works isn't worth it to me. I would research first and see what you come up with. Would not be fun for it to go down during a Tax Season. We are currently buying  refurbished 2019 MacBook Pros to install parallels and ProSeries on. 

Every computer and set up operates differently. We tend to hold off on the latest versions of any OS due to their instability.  (based on 25 years of experience)

Good luck!

0 Cheers
Jeff N
Level 2

Glad that you are having success! I will have to take a look and see if something changed.

0 Cheers
Jeff N
Level 2

* we were using Windows Insider Preview. 

I have not tried using the full Windows 11 ARM version. 

0 Cheers
KOR_MrAnderson
Level 1

I've using a new MacBook Pro 16 and trying to use ProSeries on my new mac, but the software crashes when I try to save a client file. Have you ever experienced this type of issue? 

0 Cheers
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11
$$$
If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
0 Cheers
educlona1
Level 1

This unfortunate that ProSeries does not support the Mac system.

I guess I need a refund so I can go to another program.

Esquibel Duclona
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@educlona1 wrote:

This unfortunate that ProSeries does not support the Mac system.

I guess I need a refund so I can go to another program.

I could be wrong, but I'm not aware of ANY professional tax software that runs on a Mac.  You may either need Windows or use a cloud-based software (so you just need an Internet Browser on your Mac).

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

@educlona1 

"....I guess I need a refund"

Let us know how 'that' goes.

"....so I can go to another program"

Let us know what you find; as Bill says - there don't seem to be any (not even Drake, to my knowledge).

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers