Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alimony in solido

dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

so, everywhere I read anything about the exact wording 'alimony in solido', it indicates that it is not deductible by payer and not income to the payee...but the IRS doesn't address those words that I can find.  Also, the divorce agreement explicitly states these items are not incomes/deductions.

thoughts?

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rbynaker
Level 13

At the top of my google search:

“Alimony in solido consists of a definite sum of money that is paid in a lump sum or in installments over a definite period of time.”). “A typical purpose of such an award would be to adjust the distribution of the parties' marital property.”

Sounds like a property settlement.  "Here's your half of the house, but rather than sell the house, I'll get a second job and pay your $250,000 share in ten annual installments of $25,000 each."

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
8 Comments 8
rbynaker
Level 13

At the top of my google search:

“Alimony in solido consists of a definite sum of money that is paid in a lump sum or in installments over a definite period of time.”). “A typical purpose of such an award would be to adjust the distribution of the parties' marital property.”

Sounds like a property settlement.  "Here's your half of the house, but rather than sell the house, I'll get a second job and pay your $250,000 share in ten annual installments of $25,000 each."

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
Oops, sorry if I was snarky, I didn't realize it was you DD!
0 Cheers
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10
hahahaha... i'm so worn out.... i didn't even realize it was snarky.....and I'm so dense...it still doesn't seem snarky...
If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
I try to keep it one snarky notch just below creating a lmgtfy.com link. 🙂

http://bfy.tw/N9ES
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
Quit being so snarky.  At least I didn't have to do a Google search to find out that solido isn't a city in Ohio.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10
hahahaha
0 Cheers
Kathi_at_Intuit
Employee
Employee

Publication 504 maybe? Page 13 states:

Note. Amounts paid as alimony or separate maintenance payments under a divorce or separation agreement executed after 2018 won't be deductible by the payer. Such amounts also won't be includible in the income of the recipient.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p504.pdf

0 Cheers
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10
Thanks.....this was totally a 2018 transaction
0 Cheers