Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOW TO REPORT UNREIMBURSED MILEAGE ON S CORP

yeknod
Level 3

Where do I report unreimbursed expenses for an S-corp. shareholder like mileage, home office etc?

Thanks in Advance!

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abctax55
Level 15

Form 2106 (for 2017...)

Nowhere (for 2018...)

Perhaps an accountable plan should be set up.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
abctax55
Level 15

Form 2106 (for 2017...)

Nowhere (for 2018...)

Perhaps an accountable plan should be set up.

( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
mojocpa
Level 7
I remember in Lacerte we used to get a nastygram diag saying that unreimbursed expenses for S corp shareholders were not advised.
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
I think we still do...I have a couple where they pay interest on funds used to acquire their ownership in the S-corp.
THAT does go on Sch E, page 2
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
mojocpa
Level 7
Yep, I agree.
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
I think even the 2106 is questionable in some cases.  If the employee was just too lazy to submit the reimbursement forms then no deduction.  The IRS rep at the National Tax Forum I went to this summer wanted proof from the employer that the expenses were not eligible to be reimbursed.  I strongly recommend the accountable plan approach though.  I hate leaving money on the table, especially for 2018+.

That said, the employee/owner could put his CEO hat on, and make a policy that says "we don't reimburse for business mileage."  Then put his employee hat on and complain about how he's getting screwed by his employer. 🙂

Rick
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
Sounds like the Three Face of Eve :joy::joy:
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
TAXOH
Level 11
:joy::joy:
0 Cheers