Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just noticed the new $19.95 transaction/technology fee Proseries charges for RTs. Could someone explain what this is?

dwhite126
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

You are using a service that Intuit thought it could make some money off of so the are charging you $19.95 if you decide to use that optional service.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

28 Comments 28
dwhite126
Level 1
I mean "transmission/technology fee"
0 Cheers
turkomauro
Level 1
This is terrible, I just realized!!! Poor clients won't like this! I'm switching to TaxAct next year, it's much cheaper!
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
If it is terrible and you feel bad for your clients, why would you be like Intuit and just gouge your clients for a fee for doing nothing?  Will you be able to sleep at night?  I know I wouldn't.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
ORTIZ
Level 1
This new technology fee is the worst thing intuit ever did and will not explain what is for? I will not be offering any RT's to my clients this year this new fee is a rip off next year i will be switching to a different tax software where they don't rip you off.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
I’m happy that you are not going to be clipping your clients that $39.95 fee that the bank charged them to get their refund.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
semonickc
Level 1
Also disappointed.  Just spoke with the bank who informed me it is a software fee.  Called ProSeries.  Spoke with a technician and software development.  Was informed this is also considered an "Identity Theft Protection".  My complaint registered was that was discriminatory since non bank clients are not charged for this service and since I pay for "unlimited" use of individual returns this should have been incorporated in my fee not charged separately in a bank product.  Also stated it was not disclosed to us the software users and clients will be blind sighted.  We electronically file with an encrypted file to Pro Series who then in turn uses an encrypted file to the IRS and bank; therefore, this should be the taxpayer's option to OPT IN or OPT out and not mandatory similar to the audit protection and identity theft restoration options.--Another issue is this service will be taxable for sales tax in my state.  I asked who will be paying this sales tax to my state and they had no answer.  I ALSO WILL BE EVALUATING OTHER SOFTWARE FOR NEXT YEAR!!!!!!  very disappointed with Pro Series from a long time user of their products.  
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
this is an optional convenience that isn't required of anyone to prepare or file tax returns

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
ORTIZ
Level 1
I have been with Pro Series since 1998 and i will be also looking into  another software company. Pro series made a huge mistake sneaking in that 19.95 Technology Fee.
0 Cheers
mojocpa
Level 7
Now we are talking about Intuit here. What did you expect.
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
charging extra for an optional unnecessary feature?  damn them!  :joy::joy:

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
Nasty, nasty, just plain nasty charging for an extra service that they provide.  I'm just glad tax preparers would never do something like that.

Slava Ukraini!
FRANK-ASHBY
Level 1
I'm really disappointed with ProSeries for charging this $19.95 Technology  Fee. It is a complete gouge! For several years, the Pay-By-Refund feature has been offered at a fair price. Last year they boosted the bank fee from $35 to 39.95.. I thought that was a bit high but it was marginally acceptable. This year with the added "Technology Fee" of $19.95, it makes this service very pricey. Pay-By-Refund has been a great feature over the years, but the fees keep chipping away at my clients refunds and that is not acceptable. One final note, since I'm finding that this fee is an Intuit fee, that really makes my blood really boil since I already pay $2,000+ for my "unlimited" package. This Technology Fee is just a cheap shot at squeezing out profits. It is totally unnecessary and a real disappointment. My advice to Intuit is to remove it as soon a possible.

Ernie
Level 9
@FRANK ASHBY we are users just like you.  Contact support and sales and voice your displeasure there.
0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14
I use Quick Collect, last year it was $10. This year $15, but still reasonable.
0 Cheers
qmc-829
Level 1
I just found out today, and I am very upset, I've only been with ProSeries since last year, I am a new business owner who left Liberty Tax because my clients thought the fee's were ridiculous, Now in addition to paying for software, Intuit wants 19.95 per transaction, that would be almost an extra $5000 from my clients for What!!!!, I'm trying to make a profit too, pay a lease and employees.....I feel mislead and won't be a ProSeries client after 2019....Wish I had time to find a new company right now..
0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14
You can switch to Quick Collect now, and only cost $15 total for you, zero for client. I have been using
quick Collect for a couple years, works great. I do charge client to fill out worksheet, so it doesn't cost me.
0 Cheers
finetta0911
Level 1
Well, I started with Pro-Series because it did not have this predatory inconvenient technology fee like it's competitors. Now that it does, everyone on to TaxWise and other easier programs to use 😄 seriously though, it was literally what set them apart (price wise - copy pasted this again)
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Have the clients pay you up front...NO FEES!  Its not like its a surprise expense they couldn't have budgeted for, they know all year long that they have to file taxes.

0 Cheers
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9
I have to say that TaxWise, from my experience, is not an option for professional software.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

You are using a service that Intuit thought it could make some money off of so the are charging you $19.95 if you decide to use that optional service.

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

Someone noticed a while ago:

https://accountants-community.intuit.com/questions/1782368-dear-proconnect-please-explain-the-techno...

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

I'm surprised this is the first year you're seeing this fee. The "Transmitter" also gets a kick back from the Bank Product provider at the end of the season for all funded returns. The transmitter fee has been around forever.

0 Cheers
finetta0911
Level 1
Well, I started with Pro-Series because it did not have this predatory inconvenient technology fee like it's competitors. Now that it does, everyone on to TaxWise and other easier programs to use 😄 seriously though, it was literally what set them apart (pricing wise)
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Give your client choices:

1. Pay the fee which includes extra protections shown in the wonderful brochure you will hand them https://proconnect.intuit.com/content/dam/intuit/pro_tax_group/en_us/docs/PBR-ID-protection.pdf
  2. Pay me now and there is no extra fee Give them an idea of how long refunds SHOULD take https://www.cpapracticeadvisor.com/news/12370552/2018-irs-income-tax-refund-chart-when-will-i-get-my...
  3. Send them to a VITA office and get the return done for FREE https://www.irs.gov/individuals/free-tax-return-preparation-for-you-by-volunteers
  4. Direct them to the FREE IRS site https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free

Personally I would not try to "Explain" this fee. Add on another 10 or 20 dollars to it and offer the service. Everything you do with the client is negotiable, everything except kindness and concern for them as a person. Provide a great deal of that and you will get generations of clients. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
or increase your 1040 fee by $20 and if they pay by cash or check, they get a $20 discount!

0 Cheers
Dml1
Level 1

I am new to Pro Series.  This is my first and last time ever using this service.  I have several, 14 to be exact that also agree that there gonna leave Intuit also.  They have very deceptive practices and the fees are just way too high.  Especially since I paid upwards of 2000.00.  I was screwed from the start, starting with the salesman.  It just keep getting worse.  Furthermore, good luck on speaking to a representative that understands you.  Very poorly trained also.  One of the worst decisions I have ever made!!!

0 Cheers
dascpa
Level 11

I'm confused as to why anyone even needs this feature.  I can be paid by cash, check, credit card, e-check through Intuit Payment Systems, e-check through the customer's bank and Zelle (Venmo for business was too expensive), and even chocolate chip cookies.  In 41 years I've had one deadbeat client.  So why would I need to spend any money for this RT service.  Is there a benefit to it I'm not aware of?

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@dascpa wrote:

I can be paid by ... and even chocolate chip cookies.

Brilliant idea! 

I think I'm going to stop accepting other forms of payment, and only accept cookies a payment.  😁