Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So how is IRS going to keep the show running during the shutdown....

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Saw this post on FB responding to a news article by Frank Somerville KTVU about the US Coast Guard employees in Alameda CA having to line up for food and diaper donations because they're not being paid.

IRS all work, no pay!

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

I heard someone in Washington was going to start feeding the IRS employees Big Macs and Whoppers to keep them on the job since the menu plan was a whopping success with the Clemson football players.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
20 Comments 20
IRonMaN
Level 15

I heard someone in Washington was going to start feeding the IRS employees Big Macs and Whoppers to keep them on the job since the menu plan was a whopping success with the Clemson football players.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Wonder what quality of work you get from unpaid workers.....

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
Some of the paid ones at the IRS didn't exactly hit a high quality standard so I'm guessing that quality could slide down a bit farther with no paycheck.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
A tradition has begun https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/01/clemson-football-meal-white-house-donald-trump-cost

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
I heard about that too. IRS is recalling 46k workers in at no pay. How does that even work? I try that shit and I'd get laughed in the face with those I employ.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
We used to do that all the time in this country but then Lincoln got the 13th amendment passed.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
Seems the gov't is exempt. :open_mouth::open_mouth:
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
Here is my new plan.  During a "government shutdown", every government worker keeps working and gets paid for the work.  All of the government bills get paid timely.  The only difference is, every member of Congress and the President is required to dip into their own wallets to fund the shutdown.  I'm thinking shutdowns would be shortened under the new IRonMan amendment.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
:clap: :clap: I concur:clap: :clap:
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I'd vote for that!

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
Me, too

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
mojocpa
Level 7
Sounds like a grand plan.
0 Cheers
TAXOH
Level 11
:+1::+1:
0 Cheers
AshleyatIntuit
Employee
Employee
i'm on that fb page too!
0 Cheers
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9
The Congress and president should just have their pay direct deposited to the US Treasury any time there is a shutdown, add an addendum to the IRonMan amendment. Mandatory requirement, no exceptions 🙂
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
Trump doesn't care for the salary and has already been donating his pay as promised during his campaign.  Now, the Congress is a different story.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
While I agree with that, I think a better solution is to lock them in there and not allow them to leave until there is an agreement.
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
That should produce some results, one way or another.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

I heard an explanation on the radio that the Coast Guard falls under Homeland Security, not Military, which is why they still are working and won't be paid. I can't wait until there are no air traffic controllers reporting to work; that should get the attention of the folks that work in DC but don't reside there in reality.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
Greta
Level 9
I thought perhaps there would be a popular protest if IRS refunds are not forthcoming.
0 Cheers