Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to add back another state rental loss to indiana state return. Full year resident of Indiana has rental loss from Ohio. Do I have to add back in the loss to Indiana?

Gotaxes
Level 3

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxMonkey
Level 8

I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "add back" but a rental loss would be deductible to an Indiana resident.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
TaxMonkey
Level 8

I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "add back" but a rental loss would be deductible to an Indiana resident.

0 Cheers
Gotaxes
Level 3
Indiana Resident was a prior Michigan resident with Ohio rental loss. Michigan requires loss to be added back to Michigan as it is attributable to Ohio. Now they are full Indiana resident with Ohio rental loss. Can't find in Indiana instructions whether or not Indiana requires the Ohio loss to be added back to AGI.
0 Cheers
Gotaxes
Level 3
To add to that, if the loss does have to be added back to Indiana income as it's Ohio loss, where do I add it back in. On the prior year's Michigan return Schedule 1 was used line 4 to add back the rental loss that was subtracted from AGI for losses attributable to other states. Just as in if the Ohio rental was a gain, it would be subtracted on Schedule 1 line 13 as gain attributable to another state. This rental loss or gain is attributable to Ohio. Now I cannot find in Indiana instructions whether or not I have to make an adjustment to income as it is subtracted from AGI as carried to Indiana return. Does Indiana require this the same as Michigan did?
0 Cheers