Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8879 ERO's Signature Date

Maxine
Level 4

I was assembling a stack of folders for pick up this morning and noticed that date after the ERO's signature is not printing this year.  Is there a reason for this or just another glitch?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rbynaker
Level 13

Pull down Tools; Options.  Then go to Firm/Preparer Info.  Scroll down under ERO info and there's a checkbox for "Print date on return?" right about the CAF#.  Is that it?  (I dunno, I always sign & date in ink).

Rick

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
43 Comments 43
IRonMaN
Level 15
Which would make you feel better ------------------- there is a reason or there is a glitch :smile::smile:

Slava Ukraini!
Maxine
Level 4
You are just trying to humor me out of my crabbiness........
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
I take it that I wasn't successful? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Ive always had to put the date along with my signature on the 8879...I didn't know you could make the date show up on the 8879 automatically.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I was wrong...I'm looking at last years 8879s and the date IS inserted automatically...this year, nothing!

0 Cheers
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9
Mine is the opposite, last year I had to enter the date on the 8879, this year there is a box to click on the 8879 to enter "Today's" date. Liking that!
0 Cheers
jmurray
Level 1
I have same issue, last year the date was automatically inserted for the ERO date, this year it is not.  Anyone have a solution?
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
Switch to Drake?

Slava Ukraini!
Maxine
Level 4
I just had a signing on one I checked the box in the middle of the form for.  Then it also puts the date on the taxpayers signature line.  So, that's not going to work, sometimes they will sit for a week before they actually make it in to sign.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
Maybe it would be easier just to paper file the returns :grin::grin:

Slava Ukraini!
rbynaker
Level 13
"Switch to Drake?"

Ironically, I had to call Drake Support to get them to tell me how to turn OFF the automatic printing of the date on the 8879!
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
toma'toe',  toma'tah'
"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
But you got through to Drake support?

Slava Ukraini!
rbynaker
Level 13
Yeah, they always answer by the third ring.

Supposedly, during high call volumes, the phone on Phil Drake's desk rings for calls to support.
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

Pull down Tools; Options.  Then go to Firm/Preparer Info.  Scroll down under ERO info and there's a checkbox for "Print date on return?" right about the CAF#.  Is that it?  (I dunno, I always sign & date in ink).

Rick

0 Cheers
tilt53
Level 3
That puts the date on the "return" but not on the 8879.  I've always had to do that manually.
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
Okay, I tried.  Thanks for the clarification.  I'd report myself as not helpful but it won't let me. 🙂
0 Cheers
TAXOH
Level 11
Don't report yourself please.  :smile::smile:
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
I reported you.  Do the police come and take you away now?
Speaking of police, I have the client sign the 8879s but I never have signed or dated them.  I had a mentor on here who taught me the philosophy of CAGMC.

Slava Ukraini!
rbynaker
Level 13
I started that way when I first started efiling.  Seemed silly to sign a form so I could stick it in a filing cabinet and then shred it 3 years later.  A lot of clients mail them back so now I sign them when they're received just so I know what date they came back. 🙂
0 Cheers
Maxine
Level 4
Okay I see the enter date check box in the middle of the 8879,  Since I never look at the 8879 until it is printed that is annoying.  Maybe checking one will make it global but probably not.  I do have the one Rick mentioned that prints on page 2 of the 1040 checked.  Probably just a dehancement.  Just like they have the expiration date on the driver's license info set so that you have to enter  xx/xx/xxxx.  If you use xx/xx/xx like everyother entry it enters 19xx.  Come on, do you know anyone who has a driver's licence that expires in the 20th century.  I am in Iowa, one of three states that will not transfer the info forward.  I mean how hard can that be for a progammer to fix?
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Checking one doesn't make it global.  
Editing the Client Template to add a checkmark in the box, only makes it show up on NEW clients,  not existing ones.

0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
One of my employee's just pointed out to me that the date is not printing on the 8879's like prior years. Unless there is a legal reason, how does this get missed. Do the techs go willy nilly unchecking boxes and giggling like school children? :smile::smile:
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
The 8879 date thing was brought up a few days ago.  Some people want it printed, some don't and some would rather spend their day giggling like school children.

Slava Ukraini!
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
hmmmmm.....is there a reason why one would not want it printed already? It takes us 1.4421 seconds to do so and as you once stated @IRonMaN we are like dogs.......1.4421 seconds is like 13.5 minutes for us during tax season! I guess the giggling wins out.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
But my dog doesn't sign 8879s and neither do I :dog::dog:

Slava Ukraini!
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
Well, honestly neither do i. But my employee does. I guess I need to train my lazy dog to sign. She needs more responsibilities.
0 Cheers
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9
This is the first year for the Date check box on the 8879, prior years you had to enter the date unless I missed something in the set-up.
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
@The Tax Lady Within the options and firm/preparer info you could check the box and it would populate the date  on 8879. The box is still checked for me but the date does not populate.
0 Cheers
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9
I thought that was just to put the date on the 1040, I've never had it date the 8879.
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
Interesting....and I thought the box being checked populated the date on the 1040 and the 8879.
0 Cheers
bruce1
Level 1
In years past the date for the preparer would populate,  I don't see any reason to check the box to put the date in the customer signed as that cannot be correct unless they are sitting in front of you when you print it out.
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

Okay, let's try again.  If you pull up Form 8879 there's a checkbox in the middle of the form "Check here to generate today's date on the date fields below"

Is that it?  If not I give up.

0 Cheers
tilt53
Level 3
I'm blind even with my bifocals.  Never even saw that date.  But I do as the Yote does.  I file them away and save them.  If I were to get notified of an EF audit, I'd pull out that box and sign them all with a name and/or date stamp.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

"Come on, do you know anyone who has a driver's licence that expires in the 20th century"

Yes I do.  .

Slava Ukraini!
Maxine
Level 4
Is that one your clients?
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
Yes, he is one of my better clients.

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

".....hmmmmm.....is there a reason why one would not want it printed already?"

I use it (the fact that the date DOESN'T print) as a control mechanism to make sure a return isn't processed as *final* by the front office if the F 8879 doesn't have a *wet* signature on it.  YMMV

( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
okay, that makes sense to me. what is "YMMV"?
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
Your Mileage May Vary...  
You really need to spend more time on-line :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I actually just initial it, using my *magic* pen that I've had for over fifteen years.
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
hahaha!! I've never seen that one abbreviated before. :smile: My people were complaining about writing out the date and after i looked at firm/preparer info......i figured it for a glitch.:smile:
0 Cheers
Eltonfan
Level 2

Has anything been done to make it possible to automatically insert the system date on the "date signed by ERO" box on all Form 8879 series, mainly 1040.  It weems the date is automatic on the business modules, why not individual?

0 Cheers

I have this same question in Lacerte right now. It never dates the page. I usually sign & date it and then send it to my client.  Maybe it does not have to be the same date as the date I finished?  Maybe it is the date I signed.  I will ask this in the Lacerte community and Lacerte rescuers group also.

0 Cheers