Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm amending a 2019 1040. Would like to E-file. I did not prepare the original 2019 1040. Client e filed their self prepared 1040. How do I indicate original was efiled?

DFran
Level 2

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abctax55
Level 15

Unless YOU prepared & efiled the original return, using PS - YOU can't efile the F 1040-X.

It's a stupid (IMHO) Intuit rule.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

View solution in original post

10 Comments 10
abctax55
Level 15

Unless YOU prepared & efiled the original return, using PS - YOU can't efile the F 1040-X.

It's a stupid (IMHO) Intuit rule.

( Generic Comment )"
DFran
Level 2

ty

abctax55
Level 15

You're welcome.

If it's any consolation, it doesn't appear the IRS processes an e-filed 1040-X any faster than a paper filed one.

( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

@abctax55 

You shouldn't be calling Intuit "stupid" when they aren't able to come on here and post an explanation defending themselves.

Oh, wait  . . .

"If it's any consolation, it doesn't appear the IRS processes an e-filed 1040-X any faster than a paper filed one."

It's sort of like faxing the return to IRS, if they could afford such modern technology as fax machines.  Or like Tax Court practice (as is done in many other courts) where you email a pdf of your pleadings and a judge looks at it on a computer screen.  Less paperwork, same amount of adult supervision.  

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Bob...  I didn't call Intuit stupid.  I said the rule is stupid.  

( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

You wrote that it's a stupid Intuit rule.  That's why we need mathematical notation for English sentence structure.  Did you mean it's a [stupid Intuit] rule?  Or a stupid [Intuit] rule?  

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

OK, fine.

Have a nice day

( Generic Comment )"
ivlabonne
Level 3

YOU ARE SO CORRECT IT IS A STUPID RULE. NOW THE CLIENT HAS TO PAPER FILE THAT WILL TAKE FOREVER TO GET TAKEN CARE OF.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Paper filing a 1040-X probably adds 3 days to the process.  

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

@abctax55  Starting in 2020 you can e-file amendments even if you didn't file the client's original 1040

0 Cheers