Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding a warning that ProSeries has detected that the amounts calculated in the return have changed since e-filed. The only change is the tax. What's happening here?

cbarnes
Level 3

Multiple returns are showing changes to the tax calculation.  There are no changes other than the tax calculation has changed.  Looks like it's happening a lot with clients who had capital gains?  Was ProSeries calculating the tax wrong before?  And this was corrected with an update?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

The IRS was calculating the tax wrong.  There was either an alert or an e-mail sent out about the issue awhile back.  Maybe you were one of the chosen ones and had a bunch of returns affected by it.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

26 Comments 26
IRonMaN
Level 15

The IRS was calculating the tax wrong.  There was either an alert or an e-mail sent out about the issue awhile back.  Maybe you were one of the chosen ones and had a bunch of returns affected by it.

Slava Ukraini!
cbarnes
Level 3
Any chance you have a link to information about this alert/email?
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I know I saw something about it somewhere...I'm not seeing it in the list of program alerts that show up as a yellow banner though.

Are you discovering this by opening a file and getting that pop-up that says "things have changed"?   or is there query that will pull up all files with a potential change?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
When all else fails, you can get it from the horse's mouth:
https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/error-in-tax-calculation-in-schedule-d-tax-worksheet-form-1040

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15
:horse: :open_mouth::horse: :open_mouth:
"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
sooooo...was the error in the IRS favor and they will be sending out bills? or vice-versa?

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
That's the rumor....I'm going to try to isolate my clients potentially impacted & notify them in advance.  
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
cbarnes
Level 3
I've found some in the taxpayers favor and I've found some where the taxpayer owes more.
0 Cheers
skrampel
Level 1
I just found a client that overpaid by almost $3,000!!!!!
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
@skrampel  and the only change to the return is the amount of tax?  all the other figures are the same?

0 Cheers
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10
Opened a client this a.m. to send them a .pdf copy.... and got the "changes" pop-up. They had sold their business and were involved with the 28% tax situation. Gonna get a refund of about $600, but my understanding is that the IRS is reviewing applicable  returns, and we will not have to do 1040X's  to  get the refund.
If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

It's a Schedule D computation issue, mainly (exclusively?) impacting returns with a 28% tax in the mix.   I've had one (so far) impacted, for a whopping $ 27.  I first thought it was a transposition error :smile:

( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
poolcleaner
Level 9

There was a change in the calculations on Form 2210 when they changed percentages.  If you can find the alert, it will let you know which of your clients were affected by this.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Ive had a few clients call after receiving small refund checks they didn't expect...they appear to be from this 2210 % change mid-season, still haven't seen any of the explanation letters though.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
That wouldn't impact the *tax*, but would change what was owed/refund.  We need the OP to return & clarify.
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
cbarnes
Level 3
The actual tax is changing.  Appears to be related to this: https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/error-in-tax-calculation-in-schedule-d-tax-worksheet-form-1040
0 Cheers
cbarnes
Level 3
I've tried to find the ProSeries Alert by clicking on Alerts on the toolbar, and I don't see any alerts concerning this issue.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
It could have been by way of an e-mail or it could have even been an alert on the main page of this forum.  Intuit's strong point has never been communications.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I think I saw it in my Facebook newsfeed from Spidell or one of the other tax related sites I follow.

0 Cheers
msmith7305
Level 7
Can anyone provide a link that shows ProSeries even updated the calculation after IRS found the error? I would think at least one of my clients would have been affected but, so far, I have not found one. There is no Query for this? We have to open up every single client file with Cap Gains to find this?
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
posted above  "It's a Schedule D computation issue, mainly (exclusively?) impacting returns with a 28% tax in the mix"

Look at some of your clients with higher incomes.  My clients are mostly middle income people, I only have a handful with income in this bracket.

0 Cheers
msmith7305
Level 7
I understand it was an IRS issue. What I am trying to find is evidence from ProSeries that they corrected it. I have printed out the 1040 Read Me notes and I DO NOT find any mention at all that this issue was addressed with an update to our software.
0 Cheers
cbarnes
Level 3
It was certainly updated as I'm finding unexpected tax changes when I open certain clients.  What I don't see is any information/alert about the update from ProSeries.
0 Cheers
cbarnes
Level 3
If you click on "Analyzer" on the toolbar, choose Form 1040, there's an option to query "Return Results Changed".
0 Cheers
msmith7305
Level 7
Aha! Never saw that. Thanks!
0 Cheers
poolcleaner
Level 9
0 Cheers