Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any way around being able to take advisory fees in 2018? I have a client who paid $7390 in advisory fees on his investments. Help

caroljo
Level 5

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rbynaker
Level 13

Some states still allow it.  Enter it on the state-only misc section of Schedule A and see if it helps on the state tax return.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
12 Comments 12
sjrcpa
Level 15
I just finished one with $19K.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
caroljo
Level 5
Darn, I was hoping someone knew a work around, but I guess not.  Wow, I thought the $7390 was bad, but yours is even worse.
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

Some states still allow it.  Enter it on the state-only misc section of Schedule A and see if it helps on the state tax return.

0 Cheers
caroljo
Level 5
Thank you for your response, but my state (Arizona) isn't taking anything that the federal does not take., except for medical expenses which they always have anyway.  
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
SJR and I are in the same boat in MD/VA.

I have an AZ one in my stack for tomorrow.  Have to try to make sense of the new rules regarding those 100% donation credits for public schools and other qualified charities.  I think there was a cut-off date when the federal rules changed.  So I *think* my client can still deduct the contribution she made in March 2018, but not the one she made in December 2018.  I saved the IRS email from this summer so I'll have to double check the dates.

Can I shout out to you if I run into a wall?

Rick
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
@rbynaker   " IF " you run into a wall :smiling_imp:
I don't speak Arizona...so can't help unfortunately.
"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
caroljo
Level 5
Hi @rbynaker .  Finally something I can answer for someone else.  Those contributions are a charitable contribution on schedule A.  They are a dollar for dollar credit on the Arizona return up to the limit allowed, up to the Arizona tax liability  There are several different ones allowable:  Public Schools, "Qualifying Charitable Organizations", School Tuition Organizations, and "Qualifying Foster Care Charitable Organizations". There are different amounts for each of the organizations. They are completely deductible and the taxpayer has until April 15 to contribute and still get the credit.  Most of them have a code number you have to use, so let me know and I can get each code number for you.  I hope this helps a little.  
0 Cheers
poolcleaner
Level 9
:+1::+1:
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
Thanks,

I've done them in years past.  We do a 321 and a 322 and I always have to keep good notes to know what year things were made in and for, and then make the adjustments so we're not double dipping.

I like the concept.  Basically the taxpayer gets to directly control how some of their tax dollars get spent.

Here's the IRS proposed regs:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2018-18377.pdf

And looks like the effective date:

"The amendments to these regulations are proposed to apply to contributions after August 27, 2018."

So we still get the AZ credit, but the IRS deduction is reduced to $0 for post 8/27/18 contributions.

Rick
0 Cheers
caroljo
Level 5
Oh I did not know that.  Well, I have done a number of them incorrectly.  I don't think any of them had the 10,000 tax ceiling though so maybe I can slide by for now.  Yikes!!!
0 Cheers
TaxMonkey
Level 8

I just finished one with 293k.  Nope not deductible for them either.

0 Cheers
caroljo
Level 5
Oh my goodness.  That is terrible.  I guess I shouldn't feel so bad about mine.  
0 Cheers