Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have two rental properties. One is raw land the other a residence. The land has income the residences a loss. The loss is not offsetting the income, why?

cpahdr
Level 2
AGI is over 200K
0 Cheers
13 Comments 13
rbynaker
Level 13

Land rent is quirky.  See if this article answers your question:

https://www.cohencpa.com/knowledge-center/insights/april-2018/the-tricky-business-of-classifying-inc...

Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

As @rbynaker said land rental is tricky(the link did not work for me). If you rent land and do not participate in the business use of the land it is considered non passive income. If you participate in the business use of the land it is considered business income. Either way you can not net income from land rental with a passive rental income 

rbynaker
Level 13

I thought it was just me.  Try right-click on the link and "open in new tab" (or window).  Sometimes when I click on a link in the community it just jumps me to the bottom of the page.  Just started recently, figured I may just need a reboot but sounds like a bigger problem if you're also having trouble.

rbynaker
Level 13

@Intuitjhaze 

I think I'm seeing this problem consistently.  External links do not work and just redirect me to the bottom of the page.  It could be a browser issue, I'm running Chrome Version 111.0.5563.64.  I can right-click on a link in a post and select "open in new tab" and it works fine, but a direct mouse click does not work.

I thought it might be just me until Terry mentioned it as well.  Anyone else having problems?  What browser?

qbteachmt
Level 15

"I thought it was just me. Try right-click on the link and "open in new tab" (or window). Sometimes when I click on a link in the community it just jumps me to the bottom of the page."

Yep, it's another enhancement. It's been driving me crazy. Then again, that's a short trip.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
qbteachmt
Level 15

Oh: Firefox.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Edge for me.

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

I also use Edge.  Just a normal click sends you to the depths of hell, or the bottom of the page - same difference.  Right clicks do work.

Slava Ukraini!
rbynaker
Level 13

Leave it to Intuit to break the Internet.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Well if anyone could do it, it had to be them.

Slava Ukraini!
qbteachmt
Level 15

Oh: I do CTL-regular click, to Open In New Tab. Always have, although it doesn't work in the Intuit Developer forum, and now, not working here.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Yes, Intuit definitely broke this one.

To open an external hyperlink, I'd now right click and open it on a new tab/window.  Otherwise, it'd just bring you to the bottom of the page.

When you click on a link from the Notification, it'd bring you to the thread, then scroll down from top to bottom, until it gets to the new post it points to.  Not that noticeable on PC but it is really annoying on mobile!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
IntuitGabi

@rbynaker @qbteachmt @sjrcpa @IRonMaN @itonewbie 

Thanks for your patience. Right click to open a new tab is the best workaround for these links. 
We're aware of this glitch, it's reported and we're working on a fix. 

**Did this answer your questions? If so, select "Accept as solution".