Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have done a 1040 I need to do a 1040x. How do I do it in the program

Highlighted
Level 1

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
3 Replies 3
Highlighted
Level 15

Make sure you have a paper or pdf copy of the original return saved.  Then open up the 1040X to activate it.  Do the same the same with your state return.  Then go back in and make your changes.

ex-AllStar, ex-Lutefisk taste taster, ex-ACME product tester
and ex marks the spot where those rocks and anvils hit me.
Highlighted
Level 1

I usually make a copy of the original return by opening the return, then doing a "Save As". The new name of the return I call "xxx amend".

I then open the new amended return and add a form 1040X (by looking in Forms and typing an 'X'). From there I make my changes, which are all tracked and entered on the 1040X.

Hope this helps

Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15

@pccdavef wrote:

I usually make a copy of the original return by opening the return, then doing a "Save As". The new name of the return I call "xxx amend".

I then open the new amended return and add a form 1040X (by looking in Forms and typing an 'X'). From there I make my changes, which are all tracked and entered on the 1040X.

Hope this helps

If you do it that way, and rename the file that youre amending, then you need to remember to transfer that file over to the next year, otherwise your amended changes dont carry over.

If you want to save a copy of the incorrect return, thats the one you should rename, and keep the return youre amending as the clients actual file.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers