Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a husband and wife who lived in separate rooms in May, then on left the home in October, can the custodial parent claim HOH?

1Kaci
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TAXOH
Level 11
0 Cheers
19 Comments 19
TAXOH
Level 11

No.

0 Cheers
Marc-TaxMan
Level 8
wait.  more facts.  There's a kid?  H&W live separately in same single fam home, AND there's a kid.  Both H&W are the parents?  And the kid lives in the house in a 3rd bedroom.  They all share the 'common' areas?
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
Living in separate rooms ain't quite the same as living apart.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
Polygamy? You have a husband and a wife?

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
But who are we to judge?  
But I have to ask ------------------- which one is the more difficult to live with?

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
LOL

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
1Kaci
Level 1
There is a child, they physically separated in May, wife moved out in Sept...LOL
0 Cheers
1Kaci
Level 1
Both husband and wife are not the parents, the father is the parent, second wife physically separated and wife moved out in Sept
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
Who is custodial parent?
How is the father related to the husband and wife?
Is the second wife the second wife of the husband or other wife?
How is the second wife related to the father?
WOW! I only thought I was confused in the beginning. You should know I am from California, so anything is possible, but WOW!
Have you gone through the IRS site to test what the answer to your question is?

0 Cheers
1Kaci
Level 1
Let me try to clarify. I have clients who are married to each other, the wife moved out of the marital bedroom and spent 4 mos living in another room before she moved out of the marital home in September 2018 and out of state. The child is the husbands child and not the wife's. The child remains in the home with him. She is a dependent of his, she is a full time student. Can he claim HOH. At one time that was possible. Can't find info on it now.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
No, they didn't live apart long enough for the head of household to kick in.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Marc-TaxMan
Level 8
I think an argument can be made that they lived apart in the same house starting June = 6 months.
Had they filed for divorce? But resided separately in same house, pending.  Maybe.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
But I think that isn't a very good argument.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
TAXOH
Level 11
I would go with no.
0 Cheers
taxiowa
Level 9
Level 9
As long in same house the answer would be no.  I mean what's next "bunk beds" as qualification for living apart?
0 Cheers
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9
Thanks for the laugh, taxiowa
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
Same bed, but separate comforters. 🙂

The only way I might even consider it would be if her "room" constitutes a separate dwelling unit.  Even then, I'm probably not buying it.
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
Bundling board?

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Go through the steps on the IRS site https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/what-is-my-filing-status Not enough info for this anonymous source to determine the correct answer. You get paid the big bucks to decide these things, not us. 

0 Cheers