Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I HAVE A 1099-MISC THAT IS FROM MISSOURI. THE REST OF THE W-2 INCOME IS FROM IOWA. HOW DO I GET THIS OFF THE IOWA RETURN?

ann_bracy
Level 1

I HAVE A 1099-MISC THAT IS FROM MISSOURI.   THE REST OF THE W-2 INCOME IS IOWA .  HOW DO I GET THE 1099-MISC & SCHEDULE C LINKED OFF THE IOWA RETURN?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Businesses can send 1099s or W2s from any state....the state the work was performed in is where you report the income.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
11 Comments 11
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Is the client a part year resident in each state?   or did they go to Missouri just to work but live in Iowa?

0 Cheers
ann_bracy
Level 1
they did the work from their home in Iowa-the business that reported the 1099 is in Missouri & entered Missouri in box 17  &  state income in box 18
0 Cheers
ann_bracy
Level 1
thank you.  Of course they can- I don't know what I was thinking. I never saw anything in the box 17/18 before & it threw me .   Thank youagain
0 Cheers
ann_bracy
Level 1
how do I recommend to show appreciation?
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I converted to an answer....Ive seen a few 1099MISC with state info on them...they don't usually have that though.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Businesses can send 1099s or W2s from any state....the state the work was performed in is where you report the income.

0 Cheers
motax
Level 3
@Just £isa Now! I've got a last minute one:  Client (MO resident) is a football referee at the university level.  He has one 1099 from a third party "middle man" covering work for several universities.  This year, for the first time, there was CA tax withheld on part of the income.  Box 17 shows CA/   , with no entry for the state payer number.  Middle man claims it's not their problem (translation "I don't know and don't want to spend the time to research this.")  Any ideas?  Thanks, Jay  
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Were state taxes actually taken out of the pay?   The payer cant pay the CA state taxes in without a CA state ID number, so if they were actually withheld, where did the money go?

0 Cheers
motax
Level 3
The 1099 shows state tax withheld in box 16 and CA wages in box 18.  At this point, I'm going to have the client call each school he worked for in CA and see if he can find out which one withheld and get their state number.  That's the only thing I can think of.  Thanks for taking the time to think about it.
0 Cheers
motax
Level 3
Correction to above:  not wages in box 18, but self-employed money received.
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
If he was IN California working then yes, he may have a CA filing requirement, but you also need a CA state ID number or he wont get those withholdings applied his return.

0 Cheers