Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I got a new client who has no TIN or SSN. Received money via LLC set up in someone else's name, she is a member.Do the LLC taxes need to be filed in her friend name only?

Anonymous
Not applicable

She set up an LLC in her friends name but added herself as a member by name and address only. Can she claim her own taxes by paying herself a 1099-MISC but has no social security number. Or does her friend have to file these taxes and claim this income as a Schedule C?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

The LLC needs to file a partnership return since it has 2 members (I think-your facts are sketchy as is the client)

Your client needs to get an ITIN if she is not eligible for a SSN. Your client will get a K-1 from the LLC. 1099-MISC is not appropriate for an LLC member.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
sjrcpa
Level 15

The LLC needs to file a partnership return since it has 2 members (I think-your facts are sketchy as is the client)

Your client needs to get an ITIN if she is not eligible for a SSN. Your client will get a K-1 from the LLC. 1099-MISC is not appropriate for an LLC member.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Sounds like your client is a nonresident alien.  If so, the partnership will have various withholding and reporting requirements, even on US-ECI.  Your client will need an ITIN for that and for individual tax filing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers