Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I find it disturbing that Pro Series shows two forms for farmers (Income averaging and form 2210-F) as being available March 17th when 99% of farmers have to file their returns prior to Feb 28.

simmcows28597
Level 2

Hope someone at Intuit can change this schedule

8 Comments 8
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

I thought the 2210 - F was a problem, but the form is ready, you just can't e-file the form until March 17.

March 1 farmers, though, you fill out the 2210-F in the software and enter the March 1 filing and pay date, the form does not print with the return, (unless set to always) nor does it apparently transmit with the return so far as I can see. I convinced myself that the 2210-F was probably not a problem for us.

The Schedule J is a problem though.

BobKamman
Level 15

It would be more accurate to estimate 99% of farmland is owned by corporate conglomerates who request extensions for their 1120 filings because, after tax loopholes, they don't owe any tax anyway.  But if you are dealing with the dwindling number of family farmers who are old enough to remember the quaint custom of filing by March 1, they just need to be re-educated.  That was then, this is now.  The rest of the country in general, and software behemoths in particular don't care about them, except maybe at dinnertime.  

Use software to do the return, then use a calculator if you need the 2210-F or Schedule J.  Print out a paper return, and mail it with a check.  Interest rates are going up; your client will enjoy the extra income from a week's float.  

The_AntiTax_Man
Level 8

@simmcows28597   Thank you for the heads up. 

I suggest that you file an extension and pay the tax owed by March 1st. When the forms become available file the return.

0 Cheers
taxiowa
Level 9
Level 9

Unfortunately you cannot just pay the tax due and file an extension.  You have to file and pay by 3/01 in order to not have to pay estimated tax.  It is too late to pay an estimate and file later.

And as far as using a calculator to figure out Schedule F, good luck.  That won't happen.  The IRS can't even figure out how to calculate that form.

The_AntiTax_Man
Level 8

You can have clients send in the 4th quarter ES now.  I send in 4th Quarter ES after January 15th [18th this year] every year.  I believe there is a 3% late pay penalty, but on a few days it amounts to little or nothing.    

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

The software does Schedule F.  I think you mean the Schedule J.  I haven't had to do one of those -- you have clients making more money during the pandemic?  I used to do the Schedule G with a program I wrote for my TRS-80.  

taxiowa
Level 9
Level 9

Sorry, meant schedule J.  Farmers had a very good year.  Beef and crop prices up dramatically.

simmcows28597
Level 2

I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond to my message from yesterday and offer friendly suggestions on how to work around the issue.  That's what the Community is for.  However, that was not the point of my post.  The issue here is that if the IRS has a form ready to be used then I expect to be able to e-file said form using this software.  I am capable of filing extensions, mailing forms filed on paper and I even know how to use a calculator.... BUT, I should not have to do any of those things to solve this issue.  Rather, someone at Intuit that decided these forms can wait till March 17th need to be aware of what the filing situation is for the people that actually use that form.  Granted 2210-F may not have to be filed and many farmers don't even use Schedule J, but you still need to make the calculations and in some cases they do need to be included. 

If the scheduled date for release was Feb 17th, that would not be great, but I could live with that.  To make the release date after the filing deadline for taxpayers in that industry is exactly why I called the issue "disturbing".