Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I filed a tax return with the first and last name backwards. The return was rejected by the federal, but the state was accepted. What do you think is going to happen?

kyle-amann
Level 1

Like I said, I was filing a tax return, showing a refund for the federal and the state. After I filed, the federal return was rejected, and I realized that I had switched the first and last name of the primary taxpayer. Somehow neither he or I had noticed. I switched it back and the federal return was accepted, but the state agency accepted the return even with the name backwards, which confuses me. I have no idea what is going to happen, I'm sort of hoping it slows down the processing a little, or at worst, they mail him his check instead of his direct deposit going through. But I am concerned.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If the state accepted it, they apparently don't do any sort of SSN/Last name cross matching.  Which state was it? 

You may have an issue if a refund check was the requested...banks are picky about government checks.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If the state accepted it, they apparently don't do any sort of SSN/Last name cross matching.  Which state was it? 

You may have an issue if a refund check was the requested...banks are picky about government checks.

0 Cheers
kyle-amann
Level 1
It was California, which now that I think about it always submits the DOB in the e-file header...maybe that is more important to them than names. I set up a direct deposit, hopefully it goes through.
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Ive had CA accept returns with the wrong SSN before, they don't cross match.  For as picky and difficult as they are to deal with, they seem to accept just about any return I send.

0 Cheers