Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't e file in December?

Highlighted

Here is the error message: 

"Form 1040: Individual:

The IRS and state have temporarily stopped accepting transmission of TY17 indivdual e-file returns. The IRS and state will not accept transmission of 2017 Individual e file submissions until January or Early February of 2020. When the IRS and Sates pen for efile processing you can once again resume transmission of 2017 e file submissions.

blah blah not transmitted. Is this for real? and  I am guessing this applies to 2018 as well? I don't want to file 2018 before 2017. 

Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
6 Replies 6
Highlighted
Level 3

Yes it is real.  Happens every year.  IRS shuts down efile sometime in November every year and opens it back up sometime in January every year.  Nothing unusual.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 2
e-Filing was shutdown on Nov 16th, 2019 and applies to all eligible individual tax returns. The e-File system will be back up in January, when IRS opens up the 2020 tax filing season.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Thank you both. I have never filed one in Nov nor Dec. Now I know. Thank you.
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 10
You can paper file.  If the TP is looking for a refund, at this point I think you'd probably be better off waiting until efile opens again in January, seems like processing paper returns is at least a 2- or 3-month backlog these days.
0 Cheers
Highlighted
ok, thank you. good to know
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15

https://accountants-community.intuit.com/announcements/1897969

Former Chump... umm.... AllStar.
If a post answers your question, click on *Accept as solution* for future searches
0 Cheers