Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SEVERAL CLIENTS DO NOT HAVE A DRIVERS'LICENSE OR A NEW YORK STATE ID CARD. AS A RESULT NY STATE CAN'T BE FILE ELECTRONICALLY. CAN ANYONE HELP?

pauljo68
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

Sorry, nobody here works at the DMV so your only option is to paper file.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

12 Comments 12
Accountant-Man
Level 12
Related question-- NJ resident with a NJ license works in NY, so he files a NY non resident return. The NY software asks for the NY code. Say what? He doesn't have a NY license!
** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers
lauriem33
Level 4
AM: The NY return should go through with an out of state license.  The code won't show up on the IT 203 but efile should work.
0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 12
I haven't finished it yet, but the errors appear in the N.Y. return. There is no NY code on NJ licenses, but the program asks for them.
0 Cheers
lauriem33
Level 4
On the federal ID worksheet does the issuing state dropdown say NJ?  
0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 12
I assume yes, but I will check tomorrow.
0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 12
Fyi, I had no data, not even NJ as a state license. I put in NJ, even before getting the dates, and the NY error went away.
0 Cheers
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11
NJ Drivers license works fine for NY non resident. I've done lots of them. Haven't tried it but I think the selection TP has no license may clear the error. There's some direction on the NY DOR website that I think gives more detailed direction if no license.
If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 12
I had no data, including no NJ designation, so NY was picking it up. I entered the NJ designation and the NY error went away.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Sorry, nobody here works at the DMV so your only option is to paper file.

Slava Ukraini!
lauriem33
Level 4

I check the box Does Not have drivers license.  If client shows me another form of ID I notate it in the boxes below.  This allows efile.  

Accountant-Man
Level 12
These are errors in the NY program coming from the federal ID worksheet.
0 Cheers

By the ID Type, you should select 2 = Does not have a driver's license or state ID

0 Cheers