Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received a deed in lieu of foreclosure on a property I held a note on. Immediately sold the property and had a loss on the sale. What form do I use to report the sale?

k-rinetti
Level 1

I am using ProSeries Professional on Windows 10. I filled out form 6252 but instructions are not to file it with the return if there is a loss. I have to show the sale on my return because the sale is being reported to government. Which form or worksheet do I show the sale?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

But you may not have a loss to report because you might have a gain resulting from getting the property back in the foreclosure.  You might want to do a little research on the issue before proceeding.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
IRonMaN
Level 15

But you may not have a loss to report because you might have a gain resulting from getting the property back in the foreclosure.  You might want to do a little research on the issue before proceeding.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Marc-TaxMan
Level 8
Just a fact clarification:  you sold it on installment method, got it back and again sold it on installment method?
Another clarification:  there may be more than just a little research needed.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
Someone evidently doesn't find the word "research" helpful.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
k-rinetti
Level 1
I apparently wasn't clear on my question. All I wanted to know was how specifically to open a form 8949 in ProSeries. I was having trouble getting the form to open. I have since researched it more and finally got the form to open. Thank you for your responses.
0 Cheers