Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am trying to efile a 2017 return and got an error message saying IRS is closed for them until jan or early feb 2019 - anyone know about when they open it back up?

jenn1
Level 1

or should I just print and mail in?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AshleyatIntuit
Employee
Employee

IRS has not yet announced an efile go live date, historically it's been late Jan, so that is accurate.  You can print and mail the returns or wait until efile goes live again.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
8 Comments 8
IRonMaN
Level 15
I vote for print and mail --------------- the client is then done and out of your hair vs sitting on the 8879 and forgetting about it.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Isnt the government still shut down?   They're not issuing refunds anyhow.  Id wait for Efiling to open back up in late Jan/early Feb....probably be quicker than waiting for a paper return to get processed.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
"....probably be quicker than waiting for a paper return to get processed"
A client that doesn't get their stuff into a preparer until January of the following year can't be in that much of a hurry to get their return processed quickly :smile:

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Im just thinking of the huge pile of mail that will be sitting waiting for the shutdown to be over...nobody wants their return mixed up in that mess!

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
".... client that doesn't get their stuff into a preparer until January of the following year can't be in that much of a hurry to get their return processed quickly"
Au contraire Mr. Yote - it depends on the why.  My client (delinquent on four years worth...) is chompin' at the bit for his 2017 to get finished because the FTB is um, well, let's say that they are a bit displeased with him.
"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
Should I rephrase it to ------------------------ not my problem if the client doesn't have their act together?

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
That's better....he is paying a premium for me to deal with this right now.
"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
AshleyatIntuit
Employee
Employee

IRS has not yet announced an efile go live date, historically it's been late Jan, so that is accurate.  You can print and mail the returns or wait until efile goes live again.

0 Cheers